From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
To: Gabriel do Nascimento Ribeiro <gabriel376@hotmail.com>,
	emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Consistency for xref-show-{xrefs,definitions}-function
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 19:20:34 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi!

On 14.01.2021 22:27, Gabriel do Nascimento Ribeiro wrote:
> I noticed that the options 'xref-show-xrefs-function' and
> 'xref-show-definitions-function' are not symmetrical.
>
> The defcustom for 'xref-show-xrefs-function' does not have type choices
> as 'xref-show-definitions-function' has. Furthermore, it's quite strange
> to configure it as follow:
>
> (setq xref-show-xrefs-function
>        'xref-show-definitions-completing-read)
>
> I suggest to create similar functions for 'xref-show-xrefs-function',
> which at this moment can be just aliases but can be independent
> functions in the future, if necessary:
>    - xref-show-xrefs-buffer
>    - xref-show-xrefs-buffer-at-bottom
>    - xref-show-xrefs-completing-read
>
> Also, the docstrings of both options could be improved a little bit to
> give more information about the default choices.
>
> I can submit a patch if these suggestions are accepted.

Why do you want this?

xref-find-definitions differs from the rest of Xref-using commands in
that it usually only find one location, and when there are several, the
user wants to quickly choose one of the alternatives, the faster the
better. The different options for xref-show-definitions-function provide
different solutions for that problem.

In all other cases returning multiple results is the common case, and
you usually want to see all of them, not just one. For that, the
completing-read UI, for example, is not very suitable.