From: "Rajesh Vaidheeswarran" <rv@gnu.org>
Cc: "Michaël Cadilhac" <michael@cadilhac.name>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Whitespace cleanup, tab-width and religion.
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 20:55:48 -0500	[thread overview]

On 1/2/07, Kim F. Storm <storm@cua.dk> wrote:

> "Rajesh Vaidheeswarran" <rv@gnu.org> writes:
>

> > To be clear, from whitespace.el's point of view, it is not relevant what
> the
> > tab-width is set at. People set tab-widths to whatever they please on
> their
> > favorite editors.
>
> favorite editor_s_ ?   Isn't this an Emacs package?
>
> Shouldn't it _primarily_ work seamless with Emacs?

If people need code to interoperate with other editors, they probably
> shouldn't change tab-width -- but in the specific case, Michaël actually
> need to change tab-width because of interoperability issues!
>
> So why make whitespace.el _enforce_ "standards" which are unnecessary at
> best, and disruptive at worst.

> I don't see it as religious -- tab-width exists, so it's reality, and
> there's no need to turn it into a religious issue.

[all three answered below]

It is impractical to make statements like that. Every development
organization has people who use different editors, and who operate on the
same source files. Editing a file inside emacs, with whitespace enforcing
TABs at tab-width other than 8 and printing or viewing that file via another
mechanism will be inconsistent. This is why the library explains why this is
religious. If it were not religious, we wouldn't be exchanging these mails
in the first place.

> Do you object that that change?

yes. It works as designed and intended.