From: Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it>
To: emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Cc: arash@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Warnings during building the current master on Win10 with MSYS2/MinGW64
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2024 10:25:09 +0200	[thread overview]

> after a long time, I built Emacs (baf9f1210a) from master on my Win10
> box and it occurred to me that I get more warnings than I used to.  This
> is with

My MSYS2/UCRT64 build of master (20240724_192011) dose not show warnings:

$ grep -i warn emacs-master-u64-x86_64-20240724_192011-release-build.log
ac-wrapper: autoreconf: warning: auto-detected versions not found ( );
falling back to latest available
checking whether C compiler handles -Werror -Wunknown-warning-option... no
checking for C compiler option to allow warnings... -Wno-error
   ELC      emacs-lisp/warnings.elc
   ELC      progmodes/cwarn.elc
org.texi:16157: warning: @anchor should not appear on @item line
org.texi:16170: warning: @anchor should not appear on @item line
./emacs-lisp/warnings.el
./emacs-lisp/warnings.elc
./progmodes/cwarn.el
./progmodes/cwarn.elc

Emacs is built with

gcc version 14.1.0 (Rev3, Built by MSYS2 project)

and configured something like this

--------------------------------------
./configure --prefix="/${PREFIXNAME}" \
                 --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32 \
                 --build=x86_64-w64-mingw32 \
                 --without-dbus \
                 --without-pop \
                 --with-modules \
                 --without-native-compilation \
                 --enable-checking=no \
                 CFLAGS=-O2 -static
--------------------------------------

with the result:

--------------------------------------
Configured for 'x86_64-w64-mingw32'.

   Where should the build process find the source code?    .
   What compiler should emacs be built with?
x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc  -O2 -static
   Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             no
     (The GNU allocators don't work with this system configuration.)
   Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    no
   Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         yes
   What window system should Emacs use?                    w32
   What toolkit should Emacs use?                          none
   Where do we find X Windows header files?                NONE
   Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   NONE
   Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
   Is Emacs being built for Android?                       no
   Does Emacs use the X Double Buffer Extension?           no
   Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
   Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  yes
   Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes
   Does Emacs use a gif library?                           yes
   Does Emacs use a png library?                           yes
   Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                yes
   Does Emacs use -lwebp?                                  yes
   Does Emacs use -lsqlite3?                               yes
   Does Emacs use cairo?                                   no
   Does Emacs use -llcms2?                                 yes
   Does Emacs use imagemagick?                             no
   Does Emacs use native APIs for images?                  yes (w32)
   Does Emacs support sound?                               yes
   Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   no
   Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  no
   Does Emacs use -lgconf?                                 no
   Does Emacs use GSettings?                               no
   Does Emacs use a file notification library?             yes (w32)
   Does Emacs use access control lists?                    yes
   Does Emacs use -lselinux?                               no
   Does Emacs use -lgnutls?                                yes
   Does Emacs use -lxml2?                                  yes
   Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              no
   Does Emacs use HarfBuzz?                                yes
   Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              no
   Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   no
   Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   no
   Does Emacs use -lsystemd?                               no
   Does Emacs use -ltree-sitter?                           yes
   Does Emacs use the GMP library?                         yes
   Does Emacs directly use zlib?                           yes
   Does Emacs have dynamic modules support?                yes
   Does Emacs use toolkit scroll bars?                     yes
   Does Emacs support Xwidgets?                            no
   Does Emacs have threading support in lisp?              yes
   Does Emacs support the portable dumper?                 yes
   Does Emacs support legacy unexec dumping?               no
   Which dumping strategy does Emacs use?                  pdumper
   Does Emacs have native lisp compiler?                   no
   Does Emacs use version 2 of the X Input Extension?      no
   Does Emacs generate a smaller-size Japanese dictionary? no

Also the build of IGC branch produces the same results: no warnings.

Ciao,
  Angelo.