* Scrolling up at the end of the buffer
@ 2005-10-29 23:46 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-10-29 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Scrolling up at the end of a buffer moves the last line up from the
bottom of the screen. It does not seem useful for me. Is this a bug?
This happens if I use for example `scroll-up'.

* Re: Scrolling up at the end of the buffer
@ 2005-11-02 13:02 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2005-11-02 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> Scrolling up at the end of a buffer moves the last line up from the
> bottom of the screen. It does not seem useful for me. Is this a bug?
> This happens if I use for example `scroll-up'.

I don't understand this. Just now I put the cursor on the last line in
a buffer and pressed C-v (scroll-up) and I only got the "End of
buffer" message.

* Re: Scrolling up at the end of the buffer
@ 2005-11-02 15:06   ` Sven Axelsson
From: Sven Axelsson @ 2005-11-02 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 02/11/05, Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@gmail.com> wrote:

> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
>
> > Scrolling up at the end of a buffer moves the last line up from the
> > bottom of the screen. It does not seem useful for me. Is this a bug?
> > This happens if I use for example `scroll-up'.
>
> I don't understand this. Just now I put the cursor on the last line in
> a buffer and pressed C-v (scroll-up) and I only got the "End of
> buffer" message.

Presumably the OP means that the last line is scrolled all the way to the
top of the screen, instead of staying at the bottom of the screen. It seems
that both behaviours are equally common in different editors. Personally I
prefer to have the last line stay at the bottom of the screen, but it is no
big deal.

--
Sven Axelsson

* Re: Scrolling up at the end of the buffer
@ 2005-11-03  8:28     ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2005-11-03  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sven Axelsson <sven.axelsson@gmail.com> writes:

>    Presumably the OP means that the last line is scrolled all the
>    way to the top of the screen, instead of staying at the bottom of
>    the screen.  It seems that both behaviours are equally common in
>    different editors.  Personally I prefer to have the last line
>    stay at the bottom of the screen, but it is no big deal.

OK, I think I see the problem. When I started using Emacs I though it
was a bit weird in some respects (for example, "jumping" many lines
when point reaches end of visible buffer), but I got used to it. Also,
recently I have started to user C-l (recenter) much and like it quite
much. I use it almost automatically and do not think of the "strange"
behaviours of Emacs because I get what I want in the center of the
screen.

* Re: Scrolling up at the end of the buffer
@ 2005-11-08 21:25     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-11-08 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sven Axelsson wrote:
 > Presumably the OP means that the last line is scrolled all the way to
 > the top of the screen, instead of staying at the bottom of the screen.
 > It seems that both behaviours are equally common in different editors.
 > Personally I prefer to have the last line stay at the bottom of the
 > screen, but it is no big deal.

You might like this: (setq-default indicate-empty-lines t)

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: Scrolling up at the end of the buffer
@ 2005-11-09  1:42 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2005-11-09  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

2005/10/30, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>:
> Scrolling up at the end of a buffer moves the last line up from the
> bottom of the screen. It does not seem useful for me. Is this a bug?
> This happens if I use for example `scroll-up'.

It's the way Emacs works.  We like it.

Some other editors work differently.

Both behaviors have their pros and cons, but there's no particular
reason to change Emacs.

-miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.