On 24.11.2021 20:22, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> From: Dmitry Gutov >> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 19:51:09 +0300 >> >> It's possible that the crux of the matter is that the monospaced font >> has been hand-picked and tweaked over the years, whereas the >> proportional one is something automatically selected by the system. > > Most probably. The font selected here is also but-ugly. It was OK > for small stretches of text we used variable-pitch until now, but when > the entire mode line is using it, it's just too much, to my > (un)liking. Although, on that previous screenshot the comparison was done with 'emacs -Q', meaning it excludes customizations and shows the default look on my system (Ubuntu 20.04). My actual customization looks weirder how: the font became narrower, see the attachment. And this effect can be reached with just (set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 110 :family "Inconsolata_dz") I like the mode-line better on this screenshot, though. *shrug* Just not the rest of Emacs.