On Sun, Sep 22, 2024 at 06:29:17PM +0700, Max Nikulin wrote: > > > > > Yes, when I write in Greek I do not have access to emacs keybindings > > > > > (C-b etc). > > > On Sat, Sep 21, 2024 at 08:55:15PM +0300, Juri Linkov wrote: > > > This is bug#43830. Patches welcome. > > I am unsure if it is possible to use one character for self-insert-command, > but another one to lookup in keymaps. I don't know either -- to be honest I didn't even know what options are "out there", so your pointer is very welcome. I haven't yet found the time to read into bug#43830, on the road ATM. But I'll sure do. > In my notes from 2020 I have > > see GetEditCommands > > On 22/09/2024 13:47, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote: > > Oh, thanks for the pointer. Some reading ahead :) > > From my point of view, reverse-im is no go. Perhaps it might be suitable > when single keyboard layout is in use, but it can not react to frequent > layout changes, so e.g. "," jumps from one key to another. > > For GNOME users I have seen a package that reacts on D-Bus events. By the > way, this approach might work even for terminal Emacs frames. > > As a workaround, I have a tiny tool that is invoked in response to > ISO__Group as global shortcuts and if the active > window is Emacs then it forces "us" layout and sends another unique key (to > switch Emacs input method) using XTest extension. Kwin supports keyboard > layout per window out of the box, fluxbox requires xxkb. > > It has some caveats and I have no idea if something similar is possible in > Wayland. On the other hand, other attempts to solve the issue, I have seen, > are even more ugly. Ugh. They all don't feel pretty. I'm tempted to just put that into my muscle memory and just switch keyboard layout when necessary. It's just one keystroke more, and people with some vi experience have a "mode switch" place in their brains anyway :-) After reading your answers, my guess is that the only non-ugly approach would be at the X level. Thanks & cheers -- t