On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 07:38:25PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote: > [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]] > [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]] > [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]] > > Tail -recursion without deepening the stack is a convenience, > and it may seem conceptually trivial, but in implementation > it will ba a substantial redesign. I think it would use up > a lot of developers time, and we are better off spending that > time on things that will helkp Emacs _users_ rather tan > only programmers. I wasn't proposing to change Emacs Lisp in this direction. I do agree with you that there are far more interesting targets for Emacs lisp than full tail recursion. Every language has a place, and this is not only the language architecture itself, but the uses it is being put to and, most importantly, the group of people who use it. My intention was rather to inform the discussion. The OP was asking about full tail recursion, and my answer was that, yes, it has been done, and pointers to learn how it works and what properties it has. Cheers -- t