On Thu, Mar 09, 2023 at 09:19:53AM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Po Lu > > Cc: Ulrich Mueller , rpluim@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org > > Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2023 08:50:21 +0800 > > > > Eli Zaretskii writes: > > > > > I hope it is, but I thought this about Bash as well... > > > > sed is be portable as long as you avoid alternation, separators in > > patterns, empty parenthesized patterns, character classes, nested > > parentheses, and some other pitfalls which don't immediately come to > > mind. > > I meant its being installed, not what it can portably accept. If > there are GNU systems out there without Bash (oh, horror!), then > anything goes. > > What next? GNU systems without Coreutils or Grep or Find? Systems > without GCC (or any compiler) are already widespread. The end of the > world must be near... POSIX is a pretty respectable baseline one might want to target. And guess what? Bash isn't the only POSIX shell. Now a project like Emacs could just say "what do I care about POSIX?". But that would be, IMHO, a disservice to free software. Cheers -- t