On Sun, Oct 02, 2022 at 07:11:52PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2022 17:53:46 +0200 > > From: tomas@tuxteam.de > > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org [two views: JIT cache vs. pre-compiled .eln] > Let me be blunt: this is currently _the_only_ view of the Emacs > project. After a lot of deliberations, we didn't find any reasons for > alternative views. My suggestion is to try our view before concluding > that it doesn't fit some situations. Thanks for being blunt :-) My whole intention was to make this difference clear, because I had the impression that there were unspoken assumptions making the discussion unnecessarily difficult. > > > Exactly. So what is the problem with directories writable by all > > > users? > > > > User separation goes out of the window, and this is one important > > service the OS provides. To illustrate, one user could put malicious > > .eln files all other users would execute. > > This is about installation writing files into a shared space on disk, > right? No. I was picking up on your "directories writable by all users". Perhaps I misunderstood and you didn't mean common directories: if so, please ignore. > If so, this is something for the Debian packagers to figure > out, because doing that is their request. And anyway, I don't > understand how do *.eln files are different from *.elc files, which > are already written to shared disk space upon installation. What am I > missing? Perhaps nothing. With the native-comp-eln-load-path, there seems to be a way for Debian to "do it its way"; you don't recommend it (I still don't quite understand), and there are very strong reasons to take your recommendations seriously. > > > > That's all fine, but then users wouldn't profit from the pre-compiled > > > > .eln. > > > > > > There's no profit, IME. There are only disadvantages: you are in > > > effect fighting against the Emacs defaults, for reasons that are > > > purely theoretical. > > > > I have the impression that some of that reasons are quite practical > > for Debian packagers. > > I submit that those reasons were most probably derived from a broken > analogy with the *.elc files and with byte-compilation in general. > Not from actual usage experience. Native compilation looks > deceptively similar to byte compilation, but it isn't. So if > producing the *.eln files seems to contradict some Debian rules and > procedures, my suggestion is to talk to the upstream project, before > inventing solutions, because of 2 considerations: I understand that there is a difference between .elc and .eln (the set of dependencies is significantly bigger in the second case, for one). > > . the problems may not be real ones, only perceived ones > . the upstream codebase might already provide solutions I can understand Debian's position here (yours too). > > > > In a Debian-distributed Emacs [...] > > > > there are .elc in /usr/share for all to use; due to the search path, [...] > > > > Can you do the same for .elc? > > > > > > I guess you meant "with .eln files"? Uh -- yes, sorry. Well spotted. > > > Yes, see native-comp-eln-load-path, which was already mentioned > > > here several times. > > > > So that might be one part of the way out. > > If one needs it. I don't think they do, and I don't recommend going > there. Hm. I don't want to steal your time more, but... if you could illustrate why, I'd eager to learn. Cheers -- tomás