On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 12:20:26PM +0800, Po Lu wrote: > Richard Stallman writes: > > > There are various ways users can make such modifications. > > We can add those to the list of possible options to compare. > > This is for GTK 3, right? > > > > One pwrtinent question is, how bad would the problems of GTK 3 be if > > we imagine a few of them have been fided this way? Would they be bad > > enough that we would want to reject GTK 3 over them anyway? > > Yeah. It would be a lot of work to do that. > > > There is a modified version of GNOME 2, which I suppose includes GTK > > 2. It is called Maté. (The accent on "ë is incorrect Spanish, but it > > is correct English.) It is no longer maintained, but it is probably a > > better starting point than GNOME 2 itself. I use it, because it is > > included in Trisquel. I presume it contains a version of GTK 2. Hm. I only know of MATE (spelled in capitals) [1] [2], named after yerba mate (which doesn't have an accent). This one tries to be like Gnome 2 (I know a few users who were glad to move to MATE after Gnome 3 came out). Mate switched to Gtk3 a while ago, though (the current Debian dependency of Marco, MATE's window manager, for example, is on Gtk3). > Some parts of Mate have apparently been ported to GTK 3. I'm not sure. Yes, see above. > > If newer versions of GTK are lousy, and the other options also have > > bad problems, maybe this is the best. > > I guess we could take up maintenance of GTK 2. But it would still be a > lot of work. Indeed. Possibly comparable to making Lucid "nice". Don't know. Cheers [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MATE_(software) [2] https://git.mate-desktop.org/ -- t