On Sun, Jun 19, 2022 at 10:24:10AM +1000, Tim Cross wrote: > > Drew Adams writes: > > >> > I find it jarring when people throw in the very verbose org format > >> > for source blocks. > >> > >> How would you delimit a source block? > > > > Dunno what OP had in mind, but if, as for > > the context of my comment, there's no need > > to delimit it, then, well ... no need to > > delimit it. > > > > Maybe it's a habit. Dunno. > > I suspect there are likely a number of contributing factors, including [good insights] > I still think the worst thing that ever happened to email was moving > away from plain text and allowing HTML. Unfortunately, HTML has now > become so ubiquitous in email, people now see plain text as 'old' or > 'primitive'. There is also the issue that most people tend to use > proportional fonts these days, so the old days of being able to create OK > formatted tabular data in plain text are gone - you need HTML now. Definitely. > As to the verbosity or jarring nature of #+begin_src/#+end_src as > delimiters - I really just don't notice them. I guess that after years > of reading config files and using programming languages with too much > boiler plate code, I've developed the skill to easily ignore such > trivial constructs. But that's the point. To some people, obviously, #+begin_foo is at least as jarring as HTML markup seems to us (I'm not talking about sick Microsoft markup, where 3/4 of the file is fonts and CSS, that's even worse. I'm talking about somewhat "readable" HTML, some renderers try to do this). > Of course, if your using emacs, it is reasonably trivial to make them > less intrusive with various font locking techniques. If your not using > Emacs for your email, well I guess that is what happens when you use an > inferior solutions ;-) If you are using emacs and haven't bothered doing > anything to reduce the jarring nature, I guess it isn't that bad an itch > after all. I think here we are at the core of the conflict. "Well, duh, use Emacs" (and implicitly: "use Org mode") is akin to "well, duh, use a browser". As fond as I am of Org myself (I admitted in this thread to writing it by hand without mode support), I think expecting people to follow suit is bound to create this conflict. No, to me, Org markup isn't jarring. But I can perfectly well relate to this feeling. I think, at this point it would be much wiser to take a step back and think about a solution instead of just repeating "but Org is better" :-) Cheers -- t > > >