On Tue, Jan 04, 2022 at 04:44:36PM +0000, Drew Adams wrote: > > > You would have something like .emacs.d/init.el and .emacs.d/custom.el. > > > I don't think that looks obscure at all. > > > > Let's agree to differ on that. Why two? Why in an > > implicitly defined order? > > Why two separate files? That's what this whole > discussion is about: preventing Custom from > writing generated code to the same file where > you write code manually. OK, I was somewhat ambiguous: I do have more than two init files, but each one is explicitly loaded from ~/.emacs.d/init.el. What I meant with "why two?" was why two "load" processes from whithin Emacs's guts when one suffices? > The "implicitly defined order" would be explicitly > defined (doc'd). And it would only be the default. We seem to have different notions of explicit :-) I meant specifically explicit in the init file. [...] > Nothing would prevent you from doing that. > That's similar to doing everything in init.el, > but at least it has the advantage of not > mixing `custom*' code with other code. TBH I started off with ~/.emacs (or how it was called back then). I hadn't any qualms with customize writing stuff into it -- on the contrary, it gave me hints on what I could do myself :-) Later, once the init file got more complex, I moved things to ~/.emacs.d and separated different parts. That was the moment where custom.el got separated out. This gave me a chance to learn I perhaps wouldn't have taken otherwise. But I get that this is a kind of mileage which varies wildly :) Cheers -- t