On Tue, Jan 04, 2022 at 02:29:49AM -0500, Stefan Kangas wrote: > writes: > > > I do a similar thing anyway. I can see recommending such a thing. But I > > wouldn't like Some Obscure Magic nearly forcing people to do it this > > way? > > > > (Yes, the last bit of your proposal: "do the ... as a default behaviour" > > counts to me as Some Obscure Magic. I much prefer to have the load down > > there in my init file explicitly). > > You would have something like .emacs.d/init.el and .emacs.d/custom.el. > I don't think that looks obscure at all. Let's agree to differ on that. Why two? Why in an implicitly defined order? Why not just one central config (which ideally does little itself) where the loading order of the others is explicit? > It would certainly be easier to explain than the current state of > affairs: "init.el is for any customizations you write yourself, > custom.el is for anything you edit with M-x customize". The explanation is not quite right. I do edit custom.el by hand, I've just to be aware that customize has to understand what I do there. > If the name "custom.el" is the obscure part, you could name it > "options.el" or whatever is considered more explanatory. No, it's not the name. It's the implicitness of the mechanism. I'd very much prefer the "top-level" to be explicit (and thus more visible to the user). Cheers -- t