On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 04:13:39PM +0800, Po Lu wrote: [...] > >> So it seems to be terminology specific to mh-e, with no reason to > >> warrant its adoption throughout Emacs. > > > > The reason is that the world has moved on to the new terms. > > It certainly hasn't: this was the first time I ever came across the term > "allowlist" being used, and it was in the form of an email, not code. > > Even if the world has "moved on" (which is hardly a given), software > (Emacs even more so) has historically used the "old" terms, which there > is no need to change. So as I said, can we please keep the situation > simple by using the terminology which we have always used, which is to > say, "blacklist" and "whitelist". This is a politically loaded discussion. Still, I think it is important. If there is a reason to assume that "blacklist"/"whitelist" might offend some people, I think it does make sense to look for alternatives. Perhaps it doesn't make sense to mass-patch old code, but when writing new code... why not? Cheers -- t