From: Christopher Miles <numbchild@gmail.com>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: Christopher Miles <numbchild@gmail.com>,
	"emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>,
	"stefan@marxist.se" <stefan@marxist.se>,
	"sdl.web@gmail.com" <sdl.web@gmail.com>,
	"dgutov@yandex.ru" <dgutov@yandex.ru>
Subject: Re: Lift {global,local}-key-binding to Lisp
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 03:29:27 +0000	[thread overview]

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Christopher Miles <numbchild@gmail.com>
>> CC: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, Stefan
>>  Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>, "emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>> Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 14:33:05 +0000
>>
>> > There could only be good things following this principle.
>>
>> If don't move this, then there is same reason to don't more others. Then don't
>> change any C code which existed for a long time. So the result is don't touch
>> any C code.... A reason like existing for decade time is not a reasonable
>> argument. Should talking technically.
>
> Technical reasons are not the only reasons for our decisions; there
> are also project-management reasons and risks-management reasons.
>
> I also presented several technical reasons, you just ignored them for
> some reason.

I see, so can your point out which C code can be changed, which not. Then I have
a clear view and guide. Otherwise, some developer have to guess whether this
will disobey your principles.

>> An old house existing for decades, should not update it.... because it exists
>> decades. We should talk about why update it.
>
> This "old house" is being updated all day, every day.  Just look at
> the Git logs.  Let's not argue straw men, okay?

Sorry, I indeed have not read git log too much. I will read them now.

I git log list out your commits, found you submitted lot of commits. Almost half
of commits are modifying C source code.

I misunderstand you, I thought you're some guy who just talking and don't do
work. This is my fault and I admit it.

Anyway, I still think should port C code to Elisp code as much as possible. Even
it's small bettern than nothing.

--
[ stardiviner ]
       I try to make every word tell the meaning that I want to express.

       Blog: https://stardiviner.github.io/
       IRC(freenode): stardiviner, Matrix: stardiviner
       GPG: F09F650D7D674819892591401B5DF1C95AE89AC3