* help with debugging
@ 2007-10-12 12:14 AriT93
From: AriT93 @ 2007-10-12 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

hello list.

 I have been using CVS Head revision lately and all has been going well.  This
 last week however I have been noticing some crashes at varied time.  This
 morning I attatched gdb to the running emacs and when it crashed I did a
 bactrace and got this:

#0 07c90eb94 in ntdll!LdrAccessResource ()
  from /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/ntdll.dll
Cannot access memory at address 0x219bff1c

I realize that might not be the most helpful information so I still have the gdb
session running.  I am not very familiar with gdb or how to use it, but I can
follow instructions.

Other info
emacs version
GNU Emacs 23.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-10-12 on SYS286558

this was an a fresh update of CVS this morning.

I did a make clean ,make bootstrap,  make install to see if there was something
sticking around that just needed clean but I was still seeing some issues.

Is anyone else seeing this type of behaviour on windows?
--

enjoy every sandwich

           -- W. Zevon

* Help with debugging
@ 2023-03-27 14:29 c.buhtz
From: c.buhtz @ 2023-03-27 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi folks,

I tried Emacs 29 (in daemon mode) on my Raspberry Pi 4 with Debian 11.

It crashes all 1 to 2 minutes without doing something (I can see in the
journalctl) and while connected with emacsclient.
I would like to help you figuring out what it is. I assume my Pi4 is a
quit exotic system you are not focusing on.

The problem is there is no error message or debug output. I tried to
attach "gdb" to the server and client PID. But they freeze then. And I
have also no idea how to use gdb. I'm more a Python person "far away
from the machine".

Can I help you somehow?

Kind
Christian

* Re: Help with debugging
@ 2023-03-28 11:56 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2023-03-28 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

c.buhtz@posteo.jp writes:

> Hi folks,
>
> I tried Emacs 29 (in daemon mode) on my Raspberry Pi 4 with Debian 11.
>
> It crashes all 1 to 2 minutes without doing something (I can see in
> the journalctl) and while connected with emacsclient.

Are we sure that this doesn't happen because the system is running out
of RAM?

Michael.

* Re: Help with debugging
@ 2023-03-28 14:03   ` c.buhtz
From: c.buhtz @ 2023-03-28 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dear Michael,

thanks for reply.

Am 28.03.2023 13:56 schrieb Michael Heerdegen:
> Are we sure that this doesn't happen because the system is running out
> of RAM?

Good idea. But Emacs 27 was running well on the same machine including
an open Thunderbird and XFCE desktop (via XRDP).

Does Emacs 29 consume much more RAM then 27?

I'll have a closer look the next time.

* Re: Help with debugging
@ 2023-03-28 15:02 ` andrés ramírez
From: andrés ramírez @ 2023-03-28 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c.buhtz; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi c.buhtz.
My comments below.

    c> Hi folks, I tried Emacs 29 (in daemon mode) on my Raspberry Pi 4 with Debian 11.

How Do You run it 'emacs --daemon'?
what happens If You run 'emacs -Q --daemon'?
If 'emacs -Q --daemon' runs without issue. You should start bisecting
your .init.

Also what happens If You run 'emacs' normally. Without the '--daemon'
parameter. does It crash also?.

    c> It crashes all 1 to 2 minutes without doing something (I can see in the journalctl) and while
    c> connected with emacsclient.  I would like to help you figuring out what it is. I assume my
    c> Pi4 is a quit exotic system you are not focusing on.

It is not an exotic system. I have an orange pi plus 2e and emacs from
23 until 28 are running Ok on them. Stefan Monnier has an SBC also.

You could learn some things about gdb If needed. emacs has covered You
M-x view-emacs-debugging

Best Regards

* Re: Help with debugging
@ 2023-03-28 16:53     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-03-28 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 14:03:12 +0000
> From: c.buhtz@posteo.jp
>
> > Are we sure that this doesn't happen because the system is running out
> > of RAM?
>
> Good idea. But Emacs 27 was running well on the same machine including
> an open Thunderbird and XFCE desktop (via XRDP).
>
> Does Emacs 29 consume much more RAM then 27?

It shouldn't, but if you built Emacs with native-compilation support,
then it will fork additional Emacs processes to perform just-in-time
native compilation, and that could consume more memory.

> I'll have a closer look the next time.

I suggest to look at the system's log, any programs killed because
they've ran out of memory should be mentioned there.