* about the manual of visited-file-modtime
@ 2018-03-12 23:51 zhang cc
From: zhang cc @ 2018-03-12 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

The manual says:

     If the buffer has no recorded last modification time, this function
     returns zero.

and also says this at the end:

     If the buffer is not visiting a file, this function returns -1.

Tested with the buffer “*scratch*” and “*Messages*”, it both returned 0 not -1.
It seems that the latter sentence in manual is useless.

* Re: about the manual of visited-file-modtime
@ 2018-03-13  5:24 ` Radon Rosborough
From: Radon Rosborough @ 2018-03-13  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zhang cc; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> If the buffer is not visiting a file, this function returns -1.

In my copy of Emacs 26, it says

  If the visited file doesn’t exist, return -1.

Which is exactly what it does. *scratch* and *Messages* do not visit
files, so they have no recorded modtime, hence 0. If you visit a new
file but don't save it, you get -1.

* Re: about the manual of visited-file-modtime
@ 2018-03-13  9:36   ` zhang cc
From: zhang cc @ 2018-03-13  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Radon Rosborough; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Maybe my copy of emacs 26 is too old.

  If the visited file doesn’t exist, return -1.

If the visited file is deleted by external program, then does it return -1?

@ 2018-03-13 16:39     ` Radon Rosborough
From: Radon Rosborough @ 2018-03-13 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zhang cc; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> If the buffer is not visiting a file, this function returns -1.
> If the visited file doesn’t exist, return -1.

Ah. I re-read your message and noticed you were talking about the
manual rather than the docstring. The two are inconsistent, and you're
right that the manual should be fixed.

Sorry for the confusion.

> If the visited file is deleted by external program, then does it return -1?

No, just the same value it would have returned if the file were not deleted.