* Re: [simon.marshall@misys.com: FW: [21.1.90]: should coding be recalculated on revert-buffer?]
@ 2002-02-25  7:01 Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2002-02-25  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
> I tend to think he is right.  What do you think?
[...]
> From: "Marshall, Simon" <simon.marshall@misys.com>
> To: "'Emacs Pretest Bug'" <emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org>
> Subject: FW: [21.1.90]: should coding be recalculated on revert-buffer?
> Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:09:45 -0000
[...]
> If I visit a DOS-format file in Emacs on a Unix box, Emacs helpfully
> tells me the coding system is DOS in the modeline.  If I use dos2unix
> in a shell to convert it and M-x revert-buffer in Emacs, Emacs still
> tells me the coding system is DOS.

> Shouldn't it revert the coding system as appropriate too?

In the above specific case, I agree he is right.

But, if one visited a file with C-x RET c CODING RET C-x C-f
FILENAME RET, it usually means that the file encoding is
different from what Emacs automatically detects.  Thus, in
such a case, we had better read the file with the same
coding system (i.e. CODING).

And, it's difficult to distinguish the above two cases.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@etl.go.jp

* Re: [simon.marshall@misys.com: FW: [21.1.90]: should coding be recalculated on revert-buffer?]
@ 2002-02-25 11:58 Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2002-02-25 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: schwab, monnier+gnu/emacs, rms, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Andreas Schwab wrote:

>>  I don't think that revert-buffer should autodetect at all.

> IIRC, that's what it does now: it uses the value of
> buffer-file-coding-system to decode the file.

??? The words after ":" is correct, thus the words before
":" is wrong.

It uses the value of buffer-file-coding-system, thus it does
NOT autodetect the encoding.

Of course, C-x RET c undecided M-x revert-buffer will force
Emacs autodetection.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@etl.go.jp

* [simon.marshall@misys.com: FW: [21.1.90]: should coding be recalculated on revert-buffer?]
@ 2002-02-23 20:19 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-02-23 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tend to think he is right.  What do you think?

From: "Marshall, Simon" <simon.marshall@misys.com>
To: "'Emacs Pretest Bug'" <emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org>
Subject: FW: [21.1.90]: should coding be recalculated on revert-buffer?
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:09:45 -0000

In GNU Emacs 21.1.90.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.6, GNU/LessTif Version 2.1
Release 0.93.3)
 of 2002-02-04 on ashanti
configured using `configure  --prefix=/rvcarma/marshals/slash/usr/local
- --x-includes=/usr/openwin/include:/rvcarma/marshals/slash/usr/local/incl
ude:/rvcarma/marshals/slash/usr/local/include/X11
- --x-libraries=/usr/openwin/lib:/rvcarma/marshals/slash/usr/local/lib:/rv
carma/marshals/slash/usr/local/lib/X11 --with-x-toolkit=motif'
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: en_UK
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_UK