* CC loads CL - Is this still happening to anybody?
@ 2006-05-04 12:01 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2006-05-04 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-cc-mode, Richard Stallman

Hi, Emacs!

For quite some time, people have been reporting that CC Mode loads the
cl- libraries (cl-extra, cl-seq, ...) with no greater provocation than
"M-x c-mode".

I've just spent an entire wretched day trying to reproduce this,
repeatedly byte-compiling the cc-files.el in different orders,
continually restarting Emacs-22 -Q, and invoking my own God in my own
way.

I wasn't able to reproduce the problem.  Yet, at the same time, I'm not
convinced the problem has gone away - I don't truly, inwardly feel that
it actually has gone away.  It is like a Werewolf, lurking in the
shadows waiting to pounce.

I haven't tried rebuilding my Emacs from scratch, because this takes over
5 hours on my PC.  However, I suspect that the building process has
something to do with the bug.  Would somebody who has recently built
Emacs PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION FOR ME:  Has the building process
actually produced the file .../lisp/progmodes/cc-fonts.elc?

Is anybody still experiencing this problem (i.e. CC Mode causing cl-
libraries to be loaded at run time)?  A recipe for reproducing the bug
would be welcome indeed.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

--
Alan.

* Re: CC loads CL - Is this still happening to anybody?
@ 2006-05-04 21:27 ` Leon
From: Leon @ 2006-05-04 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> Hi, Emacs!
>
> For quite some time, people have been reporting that CC Mode loads the
> cl- libraries (cl-extra, cl-seq, ...) with no greater provocation than
> "M-x c-mode".
>
> I've just spent an entire wretched day trying to reproduce this,
> repeatedly byte-compiling the cc-files.el in different orders,
> continually restarting Emacs-22 -Q, and invoking my own God in my own
> way.
>
> I wasn't able to reproduce the problem.  Yet, at the same time, I'm not
> convinced the problem has gone away - I don't truly, inwardly feel that
> it actually has gone away.  It is like a Werewolf, lurking in the
> shadows waiting to pounce.
>
> I haven't tried rebuilding my Emacs from scratch, because this takes over
> 5 hours on my PC.  However, I suspect that the building process has
> something to do with the bug.  Would somebody who has recently built
> Emacs PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION FOR ME:  Has the building process
> actually produced the file .../lisp/progmodes/cc-fonts.elc?
Yes as in : GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
2.8.17) of 2006-05-02

@ 2006-05-06 12:03   ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2006-05-06 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Hi, Leon!

On Thu, 4 May 2006, Leon wrote:

>Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

[ .... ]

>> I haven't tried rebuilding my Emacs from scratch, because this takes over
>> 5 hours on my PC.  However, I suspect that the building process has
>> something to do with the bug.  Would somebody who has recently built
>> Emacs PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION FOR ME:  Has the building process
>> actually produced the file .../lisp/progmodes/cc-fonts.elc?

>Yes as in : GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
>2.8.17) of 2006-05-02

Many Thanks!  I think I'm just going to let this problem, actual or
phantom, with "CC loads CL" just run.  I'll be merging CC Mode 5.30.4
into Emacs "soon", so if I get no complaints then, I'll assume it's
fixed.

--
Alan.