From: Tom Davey <tom@tomdavey.com>
To: "emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: RE: Support for MS-Windows build of Emacs (was: Warnings during building the current master on Win10 with MSYS2/MinGW64)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2024 14:13:52 +0000	[thread overview]

Eli Zaretskii writes:

> This is not an April 1 joke: if there's a significant community interested in being able
> to run and develop Emacs on MS-Windows, someone should volunteer to take care
> of the build on a day to day basis, or else the conclusion is that there's no general
> interest in that platform among the Emacs community that is high enough to justify
> the investment.

More than one billion end-user computer systems run some version of Microsoft Windows. Emacs users on Windows usually have no say in their choice of an OS; the rules are set by their employers.

Appendix H of the Emacs Info Manual expresses this sentiment -- "We support GNU Emacs on proprietary operating systems because we hope this taste of freedom will inspire users to escape from them." -- but this is not how corporate IT departments see the situation. Considerations of security, centralized management, and end-user support make Windows a hard requirement for tens of millions of desktops that could benefit from Emacs.

Abandoning the behemoth that is Windows strikes me as self-defeating for Emacs. Nobody will get a "taste of freedom" if Emacs fails to provide it to Windows users in the first place.

I do not work as a computer programmer; my technical skills are infinitesimal compared to the people on this list. Emacs, for me, is a very powerful business tool for managing projects and tasks (via Org-mode) and an equally powerful tool for writing prose. I see it becoming my preferred client for generative AI as well.

I support the Org-mode developers via an annual donation to Librepay. I would happily do the same to keep the Windows builds of Emacs on par with other OSes.

On my two computers, desktop and laptop, evaluating emacs-version() currently returns "GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2024-03-24". My heartfelt thanks to those who made and continue to make this possible.

Eli, thank you for issuing the warning.

--
Tom Davey
tom@tomdavey.com