* substitute-command-keys to take optional `no-angles' arg?
@ 2006-09-17 17:22 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-09-17 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Function `substitute-command-keys' allows little control over a) which
binding for a given command is used and b) the form of the key descriptions.
We've discussed these a bit before, and agreed to re-discuss them after the
release.

For that discussion (after the release), it occurred to me that, wrt (b), it
would be good to allow for a `no-angles' option for
`substitute-command-keys', just as we do for `single-key-description'.

For example, I use `substitute-command-keys' to provide a help string
regarding some bindings, and it currently returns this:

 "(<S-tab>, TAB: list, C-h: help)"

I would prefer to supply a `no-angles' argument to
`substitute-command-keys', to get this, instead:

 "(S-tab, TAB: list, C-h: help)"

* Re: substitute-command-keys to take optional `no-angles' arg?
@ 2006-09-18  4:55 ` M Jared Finder
From: M Jared Finder @ 2006-09-18  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Drew Adams wrote:
> Function `substitute-command-keys' allows little control over a) which
> binding for a given command is used and b) the form of the key descriptions.
> We've discussed these a bit before, and agreed to re-discuss them after the
> release.
>
> For that discussion (after the release), it occurred to me that, wrt (b), it
> would be good to allow for a `no-angles' option for
> `substitute-command-keys', just as we do for `single-key-description'.
>
> For example, I use `substitute-command-keys' to provide a help string
> regarding some bindings, and it currently returns this:
>
>  "(<S-tab>, TAB: list, C-h: help)"
>
> I would prefer to supply a `no-angles' argument to
> `substitute-command-keys', to get this, instead:
>
>  "(S-tab, TAB: list, C-h: help)"

I'm just a user, so feel free to ignore my comments.

<S-tab> is an abomination.  Modifier keys should be clearly separated
from function keys.  <S-tab> to me means a key named "S-tab", not a key
named "tab" being modified by shift.  S-<tab> means that!
substitute-command-keys and all other functions that print
human-readable key sequences, should put the angle brackets around the
SMALLEST possible string.

   -- MJF