1) This has perhaps been suggested before; I don't know. How about having definition/reference lines such as the following be links in the Elisp Info manual? - Variable: blink-paren-function - User Option: blink-matching-paren - Command: blink-matching-open What would the link target be? Clicking such a link could 1) show you the current value of a variable, a la pp-eval-expression, and 2) take you to the defining source code. In many cases, the current value of a variable would fit in the echo area; in other cases, two buffers would be displayed: the source-code file and *Pp Eval Output*. For other than variables, only #2 would happen. 2) A related suggestion is this (which I think I might have made already): highlight definition/reference lines in Info, so they stand out better. See attached screenshot. I do this in my own code, and I find that it helps readability. I use a slightly different background color for the line, starting after the "- ", and I use a different foregound color for each type name: Variable, User Option, Command, Macro, Function, Special Form, and Syntax Class. In particular, this helps you distinguish Variable and User Option visually; likewise, Function and Command. The regexp is trivial, and so far I've never seen a false or missed hit: "^ --? \\(Function:\\|Variable:\\|Special Form:\\|\ Command:\\|User Option:\\|Macro:\\|Syntax class:\\)\\(.*\\)"