* Show/Hide Speedbar // Save Options
@ 2006-03-10  0:58 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2006-03-10  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Save Options" doesn't save the state of the speedbar, even though
the speedbar is activated via the Options menu and Save Options
otherwise saves all such preferences. That's confusing and I'd say
it's a UI bug.

I couldn't easily implement it though, since the speedbar is not
implemented as global minor mode that just needs to be toggled. I
suspect there could be a customization variable which, when set, pops
up the speedbar. This variable could be toggled by the menu and it
could be saved by `menu-bar-options-save'.

The alternative, i.e. moving the speedbar out of the Options menu
wouldn't be so great, since it provides great and useful
functionality that should be readily available. (It's nicely
designed, by the way, congratulations to whoever did it.)

Also, the chosen settings (in particular what is chosen in the
"displays" menu, which would be `speedbar-initial-expansion-list-
name', I think), should be customizable and easily savable as default.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2006-03-10  0:58 UTC | newest]