* occur context lines - should they be part of the link?
@ 2004-12-09 22:08 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2004-12-09 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

When context lines (via prefix arg) are used for `occur', the entire block
of context lines plus match hit becomes a huge, single link (mouse-faced).

Is that a good thing, or would it be better to make only the match line a
link?

I tend to think that only matched lines should be linked - I think it would
be clearer. On the other hand, it is easier to select a block than just a
single hit line.

Opinions?

 - Drew

* Re: occur context lines - should they be part of the link?
@ 2004-12-10  5:50 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-12-10  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    I tend to think that only matched lines should be linked - I think it would
    be clearer.

I think I agree.

* Re: occur context lines - should they be part of the link?
@ 2004-12-10  7:29 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2004-12-10  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs-Devel

> When context lines (via prefix arg) are used for `occur', the entire
> block of context lines plus match hit becomes a huge, single link
> (mouse-faced).
>
> Is that a good thing, or would it be better to make only the match
> line a link?
>
> I tend to think that only matched lines should be linked - I think
> it would be clearer. On the other hand, it is easier to select a
> block than just a single hit line.
>
> Opinions?

A line is easy enough to hit.  If context lines should be linked as
well, I'd have them linked individually, and let them jump to the
respective context line instead of the matched line.

* Re: occur context lines - should they be part of the link?
@ 2004-12-10 23:15   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-12-10 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: drew.adams, emacs-devel

    A line is easy enough to hit.  If context lines should be linked as
    well, I'd have them linked individually, and let them jump to the
    respective context line instead of the matched line.

I agree.  But I think it is better if the context lines are not active.

* RE: occur context lines - should they be part of the link?
@ 2004-12-10 23:58     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2004-12-10 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

        A line is easy enough to hit.  If context lines
        should be linked as well, I'd have them linked
        individually, and let them jump to the
        respective context line instead of the matched line.

    I agree.  But I think it is better if the context lines
    are not active.

I somehow missed David's message, but I too think it is better if context
lines are not active. - Drew