* Very odd key event behavior in trunk
@ 2010-04-07 18:57 John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2010-04-07 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I haven't yet been able to track this down to a reproducible case, but I'm using the latest trunk on OS X 10.6.3, built using "--with-ns".

What happens is that Emacs will suddenly start misinterpreting my keystrokes.  For example, I have C-RET bound to `other-window', so I press that quite often.  Then, for no reason I can determine, Emacs suddenly thinks that I'm typing C-\ <tab> whenever I type C-RET.

If I switch away from Emacs with Cmd-TAB and switch back a few times, it seems to reset this problem, but until I do switch away Emacs thinks that every C-RET is a C-\ <tab>.  Nor is this is the only key sequence that gets misunderstood.  The only thing in common between the misinterpreted keys is that they all use modifiers of some kind.

Has anyone else seen this very odd behavior?  With the same .emacs configuration I never once saw such a thing Emacs 23.

John

* Re: Very odd key event behavior in trunk
@ 2010-04-07 22:21 ` Shelagh Manton
From: Shelagh Manton @ 2010-04-07 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 14:57:58 -0400, John Wiegley wrote:

> I haven't yet been able to track this down to a reproducible case, but
> I'm using the latest trunk on OS X 10.6.3, built using "--with-ns".
>
> What happens is that Emacs will suddenly start misinterpreting my
> keystrokes.  For example, I have C-RET bound to `other-window', so I
> press that quite often.  Then, for no reason I can determine, Emacs
> suddenly thinks that I'm typing C-\ <tab> whenever I type C-RET.
>
> If I switch away from Emacs with Cmd-TAB and switch back a few times, it
> seems to reset this problem, but until I do switch away Emacs thinks
> that every C-RET is a C-\ <tab>.  Nor is this is the only key sequence
> that gets misunderstood.  The only thing in common between the
> misinterpreted keys is that they all use modifiers of some kind.
>
> Has anyone else seen this very odd behavior?  With the same .emacs
> configuration I never once saw such a thing Emacs 23.
>
> John

I may have seen this behaviour, as it describes something that has
happened to me recently, but I just assumed it was flubulating fingers. I
will pay more attention to see if it is emacs misbehaviour.

Shelagh