* Re: Emacs release and bundling GNU Elpa
@ 2015-06-24  8:12 Barry
From: Barry @ 2015-06-24  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier, emacs-devel

Stefan:
> step-3: we change the build scripts again so they always use those
> packages from elpa.git.

What are the essential reasons for having two Git repos rather than one?

Stefan:
> - the end user has to checkout both emacs.git and elpa.git before
>   she can build Emacs (I suspect there will be some resistance,
>   here).

Is the vision that core Emacs could eventually be reduced to the Elisp engine and other infrastructure, and ELPA constitutes the features? If so, then shouldn't Emacs in principle be buildable and runnable without ELPA packages, with the caveat that commands would be missing?

Eli:
> I think the net result will be more bugs because of unsynchronized
> development and less exposure of packages to people who track
> development on master

Right, tracking emacs.git master would hopefully entail tracking elpa.git master.

Eli:
> Core maintainers will probably start pushing more changes to the
> packages, something I'm not sure package developers will like.

This is a virtue. Package maintainers would be involved in the same way as when their package is in emacs.git.

Eli:
> We'd need to find a way of providing ChangeLogs for the packages

Duplicates 'git log PACKAGE-DIR'.

* Emacs release and bundling GNU Elpa
@ 2015-06-21  9:59 Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-06-21  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Stefan Monnier

I think the ability to specify Elpa packages that should be bundled
with Emacs would be a big improvement.

Stefan, you've mentioned a few times here you'd like some
build-scripts integration between GNU Elpa and the Emacs source at
build time. Could you clarify on what it would take to get that done?

- Is it just a matter of pulling in some extra specified packages when
building the tarball?
- What/where are the files involved in that process?
- How would this work with developers who just clone emacs.git and run
`make bootstrap`? Should the script ask the user to clone GElpa too?

Thanks and cheer
Artur