On Apr 22, 2021, at 1:51 AM, Juri Linkov > wrote: Actually this feature can cause inconvenience in some cases. `isearch-occur’ (bound to `M-s o’ in 'isearch-mode-map`) when `isearch’, even a buffer is created, `isearch’ doesn’t exit though. In vanilla Emacs, the cursor is in the original buffer. But if you use shackle or customize `display-buffer-alist’ directly, the cursor can be refocused to the new created one. Typing in the *Occur* buffer triggers `isearch-printing-char’ which is counterintuitive. As discussed in bug#47894, the right solution for you would be to use such customization that helps isearch-occur to exit isearch explicitly: #+begin_src emacs-lisp (advice-add 'isearch-occur :after (lambda (&rest _args) (isearch-done nil t) (isearch-clean-overlays))) #+end_src tags 47894 fixed close 47894 28.0.50 quit >> Isearch help commands solve the second problem by simply using >> isearch--display-help-action that inhibits displaying other buffers >> in the same window. >> >> Instead of let-binding display-buffer-overriding-action >> in all isearch help commands, we could set it temporarily >> like we already temporarily set overriding-terminal-local-map: > Actually, I withdraw my patches. Better not to make any assumptions > about possible ways how isearch is used because of existence of > such complex cases like with input methods in this bug report > (fixed and closed). > By default, most commands that want to display a buffer > in another window, exit isearch automatically, > so there is no problem. Only isearch help commands > and isearch-occur don't exit isearch before displaying > another buffer, thus they need to be treated individually. isearch-occur is such a special command. Even there is no customization for `display-buffer-alist', user feels that point is in the original buffer, but typing "n" changes isearch string rather than insert in the original buffer. Currently only those commands prefixed with C- and M- will cancel isearch. So I propose to make `isearch-occur' cancel (exit?) isearch too. -- Zhiwei Chen