* facemenu-listed-faces
@ 2007-03-20 20:38 Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-03-20 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel

I don't understand user option `facemenu-listed-faces'. Shouldn't the
default value be t? Wouldn't it be normal, whenever the user applies a face
to text, to add that face to the menu? Isn't that the usual case, which
should be the default?

Also, this user option is not explained anywhere in either the Emacs manual
or the Elisp manual. Given that I don't understand the doc string well (e.g.
"this value _takes effect_ (??) when you load facemenu.el"), I would
appreciate some more explanation.

This is a user option, but the doc string reads as if it were an internal
variable ("subsequently defining or creating those faces", "you can call
`facemenu-update'", etc.). I think we need some user doc for this option,
and it needs to be clear on how you can make use of it.

* Re: facemenu-listed-faces
@ 2007-03-20 20:49 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-03-20 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Emacs-Devel

On 3/20/07, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> I don't understand user option `facemenu-listed-faces'. Shouldn't the
> default value be t? Wouldn't it be normal, whenever the user applies a face
> to text, to add that face to the menu? Isn't that the usual case, which
> should be the default?

Wasn't that discussed in the "facemenu-unlisted-faces" thread (from
2006-07-02 on) where you participated quite actively?

             Juanma

* RE: facemenu-listed-faces
@ 2007-03-20 20:57   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-03-20 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: Emacs-Devel

> > I don't understand user option `facemenu-listed-faces'. Shouldn't the
> > default value be t? Wouldn't it be normal, whenever the user
> > applies a face
> > to text, to add that face to the menu? Isn't that the usual case,
> > which should be the default?
>
> Wasn't that discussed in the "facemenu-unlisted-faces" thread (from
> 2006-07-02 on) where you participated quite actively?

Thanks for reminding me; I had forgotten. (I participated in a different part of that thread, BTW.)

Reviewing that, I see now that the intention (default) is to have a short list, not to add whatever faces the user applies. Sorry for the noise.

The other parts of my post are, I think, still relevant: user-level doc for this user option.

* Re: facemenu-listed-faces
@ 2007-03-21  3:56 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-03-21  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-devel

    sort (GNU coreutils) 6.4
    License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

    Ok?

Yes, ok.

We need a list of short code names for common free licenses.
Can you make one?

Don't forget to distinguish the two BSD licenses.
Perhaps use OBSD and RBSD.

Disjunctive license combinations like that of Perl can
be represented using `|'.

* RE: facemenu-listed-faces
@ 2007-03-21  4:04   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-03-21  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

>     sort (GNU coreutils) 6.4
>     Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>     License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
>     This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
>     There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
>
>     Ok?
>
> Yes, ok.
>
> We need a list of short code names for common free licenses.
> Can you make one?
>
> Don't forget to distinguish the two BSD licenses.
> Perhaps use OBSD and RBSD.
>
> Disjunctive license combinations like that of Perl can
> be represented using `|'.

I think this is a reply to some other thread. At least I don't see any
relation to this thread.