* "coding" in file variable list not effective
@ 2004-01-06 15:41 Sébastien Kirche
From: Sébastien Kirche @ 2004-01-06 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

i have have a file that i am currently editing under osx (actually my
.emacs) where i use the euro sign.
So i save it with iso-latin-9-mac (iso-8859-15) encoding.

To avoid typing the whole "C-x ret c iso-latin-9-mac C-x C-f filename"
for further editing, i placed the setting "coding: iso-latin-9-mac" in
my variable list at the end of file.

I found that it has no effect : M-x describe-current-coding-system
shows that i am still in iso-latin-1 which is my default file coding
system.
But if I place the setting in the first line between the -*- marks, the
coding is used accordingly.

Is it due to the fact that the variable list is placed at the end and
therfore the file has already been parsed ?
Or should I send a report to gnu.emacs.bug (that didn't subscribed yet)?

Regards,
Sébastien Kirche