* Wdired doesn't support flush-matching-lines; gets "Text is read only"
@ 2009-12-17 17:58 Klotz, Leigh
From: Klotz, Leigh @ 2009-12-17 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

In Emacs 22 I was able to use toggle-read-only followed by flush-matching-lines to filter viewed files.
In Emacs 23, ^X^Q is now bound to dired-toggle-read-only and when I use flush-matching-lines I get "Text is read only."
A view of the source shows a custom variable kill-read-only-ok but it appears to have no effect on flush-matching-lines.

Is there a way to be able to let flush-matching-lines work on dired buffers to hide the view of non-relevant files without deleting the actual files?

Alternatively, is there another way to satisfy my use case of using a regular expression and individual hides to filter files from dired view?

Thank you,
Leigh.

* Re: Wdired doesn't support flush-matching-lines; gets "Text is read only"
@ 2009-12-17 22:29 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2009-12-17 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klotz, Leigh; +Cc: emacs-devel

> In Emacs 22 I was able to use toggle-read-only followed by
> flush-matching-lines to filter viewed files.
>
> In Emacs 23, ^X^Q is now bound to dired-toggle-read-only and when
> I use flush-matching-lines I get "Text is read only."
>
> A view of the source shows a custom variable kill-read-only-ok but it
> appears to have no effect on flush-matching-lines.

Please note that it's dangerous to delete lines in Wdired-mode,
because it might interpret deleting lines as an order to delete files!

> Is there a way to be able to let flush-matching-lines work on dired
> buffers to hide the view of non-relevant files without deleting the
> actual files?
>
> Alternatively, is there another way to satisfy my use case of using
> a regular expression and individual hides to filter files from
> dired view?

This is easy.  You can mark files by a regexp and type `k' to delete the
lines of the marked files.  See also (info "(emacs) Dired Updating").

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* RE: Wdired doesn't support flush-matching-lines; gets "Text is read only"
@ 2009-12-17 22:35   ` Klotz, Leigh
> > In Emacs 22 I was able to use toggle-read-only followed by
> > flush-matching-lines to filter viewed files.
> Please note that it's dangerous to delete lines in Wdired-mode, because it might interpret deleting lines as an order to delete files!

I don't want that!

> > Alternatively, is there another way to satisfy my use case of using a
> > regular expression and individual hides to filter files from dired
> > view?

> This is easy.  You can mark files by a regexp and type `k' to delete the lines of the marked files.  See also (info "(emacs) Dired Updating").

That's what I want.

Thank you,

Leigh.