* Doc string of defvar
@ 2019-06-16  2:35 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-06-16  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The doc string of defvar should say it makes the variable special
(every binding is dynamic, not lexical).

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Doc string of defvar
@ 2019-06-16  5:01 ` xuchunyang
From: xuchunyang @ 2019-06-16  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019, at 10:36 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:

> The doc string of defvar should say it makells the variable special
bb

 --
> Dr Richard Stallman
> President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
> Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)

* Re: Doc string of defvar
@ 2019-06-16  6:07 ` xuchunyang
From: xuchunyang @ 2019-06-16  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Sorry about the noise. I was playing with GNUS and didn't notice the message was sent.

* Re: Doc string of defvar
@ 2019-06-16 12:44 ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2019-06-16 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: Emacs developers

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 at 22:35, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> The doc string of defvar should say it makes the variable special
> (every binding is dynamic, not lexical).

It does.

defvar is a special form in ‘src/eval.c’.

[...]  The ‘defvar’ form also declares the variable as "special",
so that it is always dynamically bound even if ‘lexical-binding’ is t.

* Re: Doc string of defvar
@ 2019-06-17  2:44   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-06-17  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noam Postavsky; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > > The doc string of defvar should say it makes the variable special
  > > (every binding is dynamic, not lexical).

  > It does.

Sorry.  I looked for that but failed to see it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman