* Any Windows wizards here?
@ 2019-06-12  2:03 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-06-12  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The FSF needs the help of a Windows wizard to help us investigate a
software distribution for Windows.  It shouldnt be a lot of work.  Would
someone here be willing to help?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Any Windows wizards here?
@ 2019-06-12  5:39 ` John Covici
From: John Covici @ 2019-06-12  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

I am not a wizard, but depending on what iit is, I might be able to
help -- can you give more details?

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 22:03:53 -0400,
Richard Stallman wrote:

> The FSF needs the help of a Windows wizard to help us investigate a
> software distribution for Windows.  It shouldnt be a lot of work.  Would
> someone here be willing to help?
>

> --
> Dr Richard Stallman
> President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
> Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una
         covici@ccs.covici.com

* Re: Any Windows wizards here?
@ 2019-06-13  2:11   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-06-13  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: covici; +Cc: emacs-devel

It's a matter of studying some free application programs
to see what libraries their executables depend on, on Windows.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Any Windows wizards here?
@ 2019-06-13  2:23     ` John Covici
From: John Covici @ 2019-06-13  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

I don't think I have the tools to do that, sorry.

@ 2019-06-13  2:43     ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2019-06-13  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel, covici

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> It's a matter of studying some free application programs
> to see what libraries their executables depend on, on Windows.

For run-time dependencies (dynamic link libraries) that's quite easy to
do, unless they use delayed-loading *and* obfuscation which, being free
applications, is highly unlikely.

If you are interested on transitive dependencies, the libraries are
closed and they use certain techniques, the complexity grows two or
three orders of magnitude unless there is credible documentation that
provides the info, but those techniques are not used often.

* Re: Any Windows wizards here?
@ 2019-06-13 17:31     ` Nikolay Kudryavtsev
From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev @ 2019-06-13 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello, Richard.

I did something like this for Emacs, so I can probably help with that.
Please connect me with whoever is coordinating that project.

--
Best Regards,
Nikolay Kudryavtsev

* Re: Any Windows wizards here?
@ 2019-06-14 13:41       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2019-06-14 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Óscar Fuentes; +Cc: covici, emacs-devel

  > For run-time dependencies (dynamic link libraries) that's quite easy to
  > do,

It isn't easy for us -- we are not Windows users.
Would you like to do it for us?

--
Dr Richard Stallman