* Current State of CEDET in Emacs tree and standalone
@ 2018-07-10 13:09 Andreas Marschke
From: Andreas Marschke @ 2018-07-10 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, cedet-semantic

Hi all!

In a quest to add some improvements to CEDET/Semantic I came across the
fact of the splintered codebases people are potentially working on.

We have the CEDET project on SourceForge with changes going beyond the
initial import into emacs.
And then there is the version shipped with Emacs.

When comparing the code basis one of the most immediate things that struck
me, was the availability of tests and that there was even rudimentary unit
testing employed, This is not the case for the code in Emacs tree.

Are there efforts to import the code from Sourceforge anew into the emacs
tree or is it intended to remain there as it pertains to features not
intended to be shipped with Emacs?

If possible I'd like to use the existing unit-test infrastructure in the
emacs tree to add validation to the changes that I'm making and since as I
understand it, there's otherwise existing development effort still going
into the code shipped with emacs I'd prefer  to not double my efforts and
have to make it shippable/maintainable in 2 places.

Any and all explanations of the current situation would be very welcome.

Kind regards,

Andreas Marschke.