* Why named structs and unions? C11 supports anonymous structs and unions
@ 2018-02-12  3:14 Daniel Colascione
From: Daniel Colascione @ 2018-02-12  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Recently, we changed structs from being declared plainly to being
structs-of-a-union-containing-a-struct-and-a-dummy-aligner. I understand
the reasoning for this change, but not the way it's done. It's uglified
the code. Instead of XCONS(c)->car, we now write XCONS(c)->u.s.car. We
don't have to though.

Instead of:

struct foo {
   union {
     struct {
       int stuff1;
       int stuff2;
     } s;
     char alignas(GCALIGNMENT) gcaligned;
   } u;
};

we can write this:

struct foo {
   union {
     struct {
       int stuff1;
       int stuff2;
     };
     char alignas(GCALIGNMENT) gcaligned;
   };
};

Now we get all the alignment benefits of alignas, but without the ugly
"u.s." stuff. C11 allows these anonymous composite members, and AFAICT,
so does every compiler that anyone cares about anymore. So why not use them?