* http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Isearch-prompt-proposal
@ 2015-11-05 22:42 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-11-05 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I am not sure what the proposal means.  It lists three "parts".
What is the relationship between these parts?  Is the proposal
to implement them all?  Or just some of them?  Why separate these "parts"?

Aside from that, a proposal like this is not sufficient to poll the
users with.  We need to ask them a list of questions.

Ideally we present them some code and ask them to try editing
with it and without it, and compare.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Isearch-prompt-proposal
@ 2015-11-05 23:45 ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-11-05 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 5 Nov 2015 10:42 pm, "Richard Stallman" <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> I am not sure what the proposal means.  It lists three "parts".
> What is the relationship between these parts?  Is the proposal
> to implement them all?  Or just some of them?  Why separate these "parts"?

The proposal is to implement all three parts eventually,  but right now it
is focused on the first part. Parts 2 and 3 are there as "intended next
steps", mostly for context.

I'll make that clearer.

> Aside from that, a proposal like this is not sufficient to poll the
> users with.
> We need to ask them a list of questions.
>
> Ideally we present them some code and ask them to try editing
> with it and without it, and compare.

Sure. If we want to poll users I'll post some code there.
I originally just wrote the page to update people who haven't been
following the thread on what's the current idea.

The question is pretty simple: "does this get in your way"?

* Re: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Isearch-prompt-proposal
@ 2015-11-06 15:04   ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-11-06 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

> On 5 Nov 2015 10:42 pm, "Richard Stallman" <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Ideally we present them some code and ask them to try editing
>> with it and without it, and compare.

Code added, and the rest is clarified a bit.

@ 2015-11-06 21:40   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-11-06 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruce.connor.am; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > The proposal is to implement all three parts eventually,  but right now it
  > is focused on the first part.

In polling the users, we need to make it clear what the options are.
We need text that presents a set of options to consider, and then asks
users what they think of these options.

We can ask users about the option that you've called "part 1".
We can ask users about the option that you've called "all three parts".
They are different options.

We can, if we wish, ask users about both of them, and other options
besides.

In any case, all the options we present should be presented on an
equal footing.  It would be confusing to present one option as "part
of" another option, and it would tend to bias the results.

--

@ 2015-11-06 21:59     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2015-11-06 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Artur Malabarba; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

>>> Ideally we present them some code and ask them to try editing
>>> with it and without it, and compare.
>
> Code added, and the rest is clarified a bit.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Isearch-prompt-proposal

Nice.  A right-aligned message suffix gives us a 4th place to display
search-related information - in addition to the mode-line indicator,
search prompt, and left non-aligned message suffix.  And maybe later
we could move some indicators from the latter (e.g. “[case insensetive]”)
to the new display area on the right edge of the echo area, out of sight.

* Re: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Isearch-prompt-proposal
@ 2015-11-07 13:22     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2015-11-07 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruce.connor.am; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > Code added, and the rest is clarified a bit.

  > http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Isearch-prompt-proposal

I will take a look, but to poll the users we need a question
which lists several options to choose among.

--
Dr Richard Stallman