* M-x in shell after emacs --daemon
@ 2011-11-26  0:39 T. V. Raman
       [not found] ` <CAC=50j_zjvonNOWe_B37t6fcB7JN4XBpJzMdqPccPzwVgsPiBA@mail.gmail.com>
From: T. V. Raman @ 2011-11-26  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

This is when running on Linux.

Start emacs --daemon -- then launch an emacsclient frame --
either tty or graphical.

M-x shell

programs like w report " 10 columns not wide enough.
stty cols 80 fixes w -- but top  fails in that it displays just
the first column of top output -- guess it thinks the terminal
still has 10 cols.

* Re: M-x in shell after emacs --daemon
@ 2011-11-27  1:42 ` Richard Stallman
       [not found] ` <CAC=50j_zjvonNOWe_B37t6fcB7JN4XBpJzMdqPccPzwVgsPiBA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Richard Stallman @ 2011-11-27  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tv.raman.tv; +Cc: emacs-devel

    This is when running on Linux.

I thought that was not possible.  Aren't you running on GNU/Linux?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation

* Re: M-x in shell after emacs --daemon
       [not found]   ` <20178.65014.719546.153995@gargle.gargle.HOWL>
@ 2011-11-28  8:24     ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2011-11-28  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tv.raman.tv; +Cc: Emacs developers

I upgraded to the most recent bzr sources for emacs and svn sources
for emacspeak and tested again on both 32 bit and 64 bit Xubuntu
systems. I tested with emacs started in daemon mode as part of my
xsession startup and starting just under a virtual console. In neither
case was I able to reproduce the issue you are seeing. I ran
emacsclient -c under X and emacsclient -t underthe virtual console and
then ran M-x shell. Issuing w, ls, top and other commands which I
thought might have problems, but all worked fine.

The emacs I'm running is compiled with all standard configure options
and built with GTK+ support.  The only two 'no' responses reported by
configure are for imagemagick and selinux support. Emacs is installed
in /usr/local

I you still have not got a resolution to this by next weekend, I'll
try installing stumpwm - its been a while since I tried running it and
was thinking about giving it another try, so this could be a way to
kill two birds with one rock.

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: M-x in shell after emacs --daemon
@ 2011-12-11 20:19   ` Dimitri Fontaine
From: Dimitri Fontaine @ 2011-12-11 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: tv.raman.tv, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>     This is when running on Linux.
>
> I thought that was not possible.

I believe it is.

  http://bellard.org/jslinux/tech.html

  Linux distribution

  I compiled a 2.6.20 Linux kernel (I guess any other version would work
  provided there is still an FPU emulator). The Linux kernel
  configuration, patch and the source code of the Linux starter (kind of
  BIOS) are available: linuxstart-20110820.tar.gz.

  The disk image is just a ram disk image loaded at boot time. It
  contains a filesystem generated with Buildroot containing BusyBox. I
  added my toy C compiler TinyCC and my unfinished but usable emacs
  clone QEmacs. There is also a small MS-DOS .COM launcher I use to test
  the 16 bit emulation with a tiny .COM program to compute pi and a
  small self-assembling assembler for MS-DOS.

Several components here are licenced under the GPL, but that does not
make them GNU projects, this linux is running fine and is not GNU/Linux.
Your argument about calling the OS GNU/Linux would stop being fair
should you fail to get your facts right.

Regards,
--
dim

* Re: M-x in shell after emacs --daemon
@ 2011-12-12  0:49     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2011-12-12  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dimitri Fontaine; +Cc: tv.raman.tv, emacs-devel

      The disk image is just a ram disk image loaded at boot time. It
      contains a filesystem generated with Buildroot containing BusyBox. I
      added my toy C compiler TinyCC and my unfinished but usable emacs
      clone QEmacs. There is also a small MS-DOS .COM launcher I use to test
      the 16 bit emulation with a tiny .COM program to compute pi and a
      small self-assembling assembler for MS-DOS.

How curious.  It sounds like this is not GNU/Linux,
but another system that is almost completely different.

--

@ 2011-12-13  2:25       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2011-12-13  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dim; +Cc: tv.raman.tv, rms, emacs-devel

	  The disk image is just a ram disk image loaded at boot time. It
	  contains a filesystem generated with Buildroot containing BusyBox. I
	  added my toy C compiler TinyCC and my unfinished but usable emacs
	  clone QEmacs. There is also a small MS-DOS .COM launcher I use to test
	  the 16 bit emulation with a tiny .COM program to compute pi and a
	  small self-assembling assembler for MS-DOS.

This is not GNU/Linux, but it isn't just Linux.  It does contain the
other necessary parts of a system.