* Now the debugger crashes instead of Emacs...
@ 2010-06-02 22:15 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-06-02 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

I just got this error from the debugger. Normally it starts OK, but
not this time. Anyone has any idea?

This GDB was configured as "mingw32".
Reading symbols from c:/emacs/p/100531/emacs/bin/emacs.exe...done.

warning: core file may not match specified executable file.

warning: Couldn't find general-purpose registers in core file.

warning: Couldn't find general-purpose registers in core file.
#0  0x00000000 in ?? ()
Starting program: c:/emacs/p/100531/emacs/bin/emacs.exe
../../gdb-7.0.50.20100202/gdb/thread.c:79: internal-error: inferior_thread: Asse
rtion `tp' failed.
A problem internal to GDB has been detected,
further debugging may prove unreliable.
Quit this debugging session? (y or n)

* Re: Now the debugger crashes instead of Emacs...
@ 2010-06-03  3:00 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-06-03  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 00:15:00 +0200
>
> I just got this error from the debugger. Normally it starts OK, but
> not this time. Anyone has any idea?

How did you invoke GDB, exactly?  The Windows port of GDB does not
support core files (and that's what the error messages tell you), but
it sounds like your invocation asked GDB to debug such a core file.

* Re: Now the debugger crashes instead of Emacs...
@ 2010-06-03  3:04   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-06-03  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 5:00 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
>> Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 00:15:00 +0200
>>
>> I just got this error from the debugger. Normally it starts OK, but
>> not this time. Anyone has any idea?
>
> How did you invoke GDB, exactly?  The Windows port of GDB does not
> support core files (and that's what the error messages tell you), but
> it sounds like your invocation asked GDB to debug such a core file.

In a command file with a line like this

   gdb -ex=run --args %emacs-exe% %*

Most of the time it works, but this time it failed. I believe it might
have something to do with that i have a command that restarts Emacs
and this will call this file again.

I looks like the debugger is trying to reuse something. Maybe semaphores.

* Re: Now the debugger crashes instead of Emacs...
@ 2010-06-03 11:59     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-06-03 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 05:04:49 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > How did you invoke GDB, exactly?  The Windows port of GDB does not
> > support core files (and that's what the error messages tell you), but
> > it sounds like your invocation asked GDB to debug such a core file.
>
> In a command file with a line like this
>
>    gdb -ex=run --args %emacs-exe% %*

And that command file was invoked with what command line?  (Really,
Lennart, you should learn to provide all the details, even if they
don't look important to you.)

> Most of the time it works, but this time it failed.

Could it be that it fails when the expansions of %emacs-exe% or %*
include unquoted white space?

> I believe it might have something to do with that i have a command
> that restarts Emacs and this will call this file again.

Sorry, I don't understand this.  Please explain.

> I looks like the debugger is trying to reuse something. Maybe semaphores.

No, the debugger is simply utterly confused.

* Re: Now the debugger crashes instead of Emacs...
@ 2010-06-03 15:21       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-06-03 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> In a command file with a line like this
>>
>>    gdb -ex=run --args %emacs-exe% %*
>
> And that command file was invoked with what command line?  (Really,
> Lennart, you should learn to provide all the details, even if they
> don't look important to you.)

Ah, thanks for reminding me, Eli. You are right. I happened to give
gdb bad parameters (by accidently mixing to ideas I had about
parameter handling).

> No, the debugger is simply utterly confused.

That is understandable concerning my confusion. Sorry for the noise.