* Delete Selection mode
@ 2010-04-22 19:44 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2010-04-22 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I thought I was trying Delete Selection mode, but I had turned it on
with (setq delete-selection-mode t).  A few days ago I discovered that
was a no-op.  So I started trying it for real.

It has caused me annoying surprises every day, including
just now finding that M-w C-y did not duplicate the region
as I expected it to.  (Instead it was a no-op.)  I will keep
trying it for a few more days.

* Re: Delete Selection mode
@ 2010-04-22 20:05 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-04-22 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> I thought I was trying Delete Selection mode, but I had turned it on
> with (setq delete-selection-mode t).  A few days ago I discovered that
> was a no-op.  So I started trying it for real.
>
> It has caused me annoying surprises every day, including
> just now finding that M-w C-y did not duplicate the region
> as I expected it to.  (Instead it was a no-op.)

This doesn't sound right.  M-w C-y should not be affected by Delete
Selection mode.  With `emacs -Q', I did

M-x delete-selection-mode RET
C-SPC
M-<    [to put the *scratch* message in the region]
M-w
C-y

This gives me two copies of the *scratch* message.  Do you not see this?

* Re: Delete Selection mode
@ 2010-04-23 16:49   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2010-04-23 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

    M-x delete-selection-mode RET
    C-SPC
    M-<    [to put the *scratch* message in the region]
    M-w
    C-y

    This gives me two copies of the *scratch* message.  Do you not see this?

I got the behavior I reported while editing a message.  It surprised
me, so I tried it a couple of more times to make sure, before I
reported it.

But it does not happen now.

I have had it snag me on other occasions.
Just now I noticed a snag coming and avoided it.
So it did not cause a snag, but it was an interference.
It definitely makes editing somewhat worse.