* ChangeLog entry for ido.el
@ 2010-04-04  9:35 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-04-04  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-devel

Are long entries such as the one below really appropriate for
ChangeLog files?  I don't think ChangeLog is a place to explain how
things work; it would have been much better to move this description
to ido.el itself, right where ido-use-virtual-buffers is defined.

  2010-04-04  John Wiegley  <jwiegley@gmail.com>

	  * ido.el (ido-use-virtual-buffers): New variable to indicate
	  whether "virtual buffer" support is enabled for IDO.  Essentially
	  it works as follows: Say you are visiting a file and the buffer
	  gets cleaned up by mignight.el.  Later, you want to switch to that
	  buffer, but find it's no longer open.  With virtual buffers
	  enabled, the buffer name stays in the buffer list (using the
	  ido-virtual face, and always at the end), and if you select it, it
	  opens the file back up again.  This allows you to think less about
	  whether recently opened files are still open or not.  Most of the
	  time you can quit Emacs, restart, and then switch to a file buffer
	  that was previously open as if it still were.  NOTE: This feature
	  has been present in iswitchb for several years now, and I'm
	  porting the same logic to IDO.

* Re: ChangeLog entry for ido.el
@ 2010-04-04 10:33 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2010-04-04 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Apr 4, 2010, at 5:35 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Are long entries such as the one below really appropriate for
> ChangeLog files?  I don't think ChangeLog is a place to explain how
> things work; it would have been much better to move this description
> to ido.el itself, right where ido-use-virtual-buffers is defined.

I wasn't sure about that, whether it's just to state a change or also add a short justification.  I think your assessment is the more accurate.

John

* Re: ChangeLog entry for ido.el
@ 2010-04-04 11:34   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-04-04 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 06:33:00 -0400
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Apr 4, 2010, at 5:35 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > Are long entries such as the one below really appropriate for
> > ChangeLog files?  I don't think ChangeLog is a place to explain how
> > things work; it would have been much better to move this description
> > to ido.el itself, right where ido-use-virtual-buffers is defined.
>
> I wasn't sure about that, whether it's just to state a change or also add a short justification.  I think your assessment is the more accurate.

The log entry is indeed supposed to give a short summary, but that
summary should be one or two lines.

* Re: ChangeLog entry for ido.el
@ 2010-04-04 17:36 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2010-04-04 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: jwiegley, emacs-devel

The explanation of how it works is very useful, but it should be in
comments in the code, rather than in ChangeLog.

* Re: ChangeLog entry for ido.el
@ 2010-04-04 17:57   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-04-04 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Also on this subject, please give new (or changed) defcustoms (and
faces too? not sure...) an appropriate :version tag. Thanks.