* Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 69, Issue 108
@ 2009-11-20  7:27 A. Soare
From: A. Soare @ 2009-11-20  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>    7. Re: t and nil in pure memory? (Richard Stallman)
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 23:12:55 -0500
> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: t and nil in pure memory?
> To: Stefan Monnier <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
> Cc: dak@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>     As maintainer I care about maintainability of the code.  I will reject
>     such a change.
>
> 2 lines whose meaning is totally obvious -- not much work to maintain.
> This looks like stubbornness to me.  I have no reason to be stubborn
> about it, so I will move on.

I did run

grep -riI "(put[[:blank:]\n]*t[^a-z]" *   and
grep -riI "(put[[:blank:]\n]*nil" *

in ./lisp directory, and I did find what I expected: nothing.

Could somebody give me an example in which adding properties to `t' and `nil' may be useful?

Gagnez un séjour au Maroc en découvrant les sketchs désopilants des ReVoila sur http://www.lesrevoila.fr/

* Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 69, Issue 108
@ 2009-11-21  0:01 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2009-11-21  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Could somebody give me an example in which adding properties to `t' and `nil' may be useful?

There have been Lisp programs that parse the user's input into
symbols and put properties on them.  In effect, these implement
other languages.  We don't want to rule out defining nil in those
languages.