* Highest version number
@ 2009-07-15  9:09 Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-07-15  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi.

Picked this up on slashdot.  We got to get 23.1 out so we can claim the
highest version number used.

http://technologizer.com/2009/07/14/version-numbers/

	Jan D.

* Re: Highest version number
@ 2009-07-15  9:35 ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2009-07-15  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: emacs-devel

   Picked this up on slashdot.  We got to get 23.1 out so we can claim the
   highest version number used.

Not to spoil the fun, but less is at version 418.

* Re: Highest version number
@ 2009-07-15  9:50   ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-07-15  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ams; +Cc: Jan Djärv, emacs-devel

Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    Picked this up on slashdot.  We got to get 23.1 out so we can claim the
>    highest version number used.
>
> Not to spoil the fun, but less is at version 418.

The version of less here is 429, and that's on Debian which is usually
behind the times.

* Re: Highest version number
@ 2009-07-15 10:14     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-07-15 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: ams, Jan Djärv, emacs-devel

Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org> writes:
>>    Picked this up on slashdot.  We got to get 23.1 out so we can claim
>> the    highest version number used.
>>
>> Not to spoil the fun, but less is at version 418.
>
> The version of less here is 429, and that's on Debian which is usually
> behind the times.

ams still uses rmail...

-miles

--
In New York, most people don't have cars, so if you want to kill a person, you
have to take the subway to their house.  And sometimes on the way, the train

* Re: Highest version number
@ 2009-07-15 11:26   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-07-15 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ams; +Cc: Jan Djärv, emacs-devel

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

>    Picked this up on slashdot.  We got to get 23.1 out so we can claim the
>    highest version number used.
>
> Not to spoil the fun, but less is at version 418.

...yes, but emacs version numbers are meant to be read as

  21.001.050.001

   Sebastian

* Re: Highest version number
@ 2009-07-15 12:08   ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-07-15 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ams; +Cc: emacs-devel

Alfred M. Szmidt skrev:
>    Picked this up on slashdot.  We got to get 23.1 out so we can claim the
>    highest version number used.
>
> Not to spoil the fun, but less is at version 418.

Well, it isn't really a version number as all versions inbetween hasn't been
released.  If you say 4.18 then it would qualify.

	Jan D.

* Re: Highest version number
@ 2009-07-15 14:05 ` Davis Herring
From: Davis Herring @ 2009-07-15 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Picked this up on slashdot.  We got to get 23.1 out so we can claim the
> highest version number used.

I would think that for the purpose of version number comparisons, we would
really be releasing 1.23.1 anyway.

Davis

shipping.

* Re: Highest version number
@ 2009-07-16 13:54     ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2009-07-16 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Djärv; +Cc: emacs-devel

   >    Picked this up on slashdot.  We got to get 23.1 out so we can
   >    claim the highest version number used.
   >
   > Not to spoil the fun, but less is at version 418.

   Well, it isn't really a version number as all versions inbetween
   hasn't been released.  If you say 4.18 then it would qualify.

less version number scheme is based on how many times less was
compiled by the maintainer, I doubt that he compiled less 4.18 times.

* Re: Highest version number
@ 2009-07-16 16:18       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2009-07-16 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: ams, jan.h.d, emacs-devel, jasonr

    ams still uses rmail...

That seems to have been meant as a gratuitous insult.
I do not see anything wrong about using Rmail, but you
seem to intend it that way.

It is not acceptable to insult against other contributors.
Please do not do it ever again.

* Re: Highest version number
@ 2009-07-16 23:28         ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-07-16 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: ams, jan.h.d, jasonr, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>     ams still uses rmail...
>
> That seems to have been meant as a gratuitous insult.

It was a joke.

[If ams saw it as an insult, I apologize -- it certainly wasn't meant as one.]

-miles

--
Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it
has to be us.  -- Jerry Garcia

* Re: Highest version number
@ 2009-07-18  0:29           ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2009-07-18  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: ams, jan.h.d, emacs-devel, jasonr

How about writing a smiley after a joke that takes the form of an insult?