* Display problem in describe-char
@ 2009-04-09  5:59 Ulrich Mueller
From: Ulrich Mueller @ 2009-04-09  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: message body text --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 550 bytes --]

describe-char in Emacs 23.0.92 gives a strange result for accented and
umlaut characters. For example, call it on an "ä" (latin small letter
a with diaeresis):

  emacs -Q
  C-x 8 " a C-b C-u C-x =

The "decomposition" part under "Character code properties" looks
strange, it shows an 'a' in single quotes, followed by a single quote
composed with a diaeresis and another single quote. I think that this
composing is not the intended behaviour?

Don't know how to describe it better, so see attached detail of a
screenshot.

Ulrich

[-- Attachment #2: emacs-screenshot.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 3225 bytes --]

* Re: Display problem in describe-char
@ 2009-04-09 11:14 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-04-09 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Mueller; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <18909.36539.282128.31031@a1ihome1.kph.uni-mainz.de>, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> writes:

> describe-char in Emacs 23.0.92 gives a strange result for accented and
> umlaut characters. For example, call it on an "ä" (latin small letter
> a with diaeresis):

>   emacs -Q
>   C-x 8 " a C-b C-u C-x =

> The "decomposition" part under "Character code properties" looks
> strange, it shows an 'a' in single quotes, followed by a single quote
> composed with a diaeresis and another single quote. I think that this
> composing is not the intended behaviour?

I've just installed fixes to suppress composing that
diaeresis with the previous quote character.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Display problem in describe-char
@ 2009-04-09 12:32   ` Ulrich Mueller
From: Ulrich Mueller @ 2009-04-09 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I've just installed fixes to suppress composing that
> diaeresis with the previous quote character.

Thanks.

So the problem was in unidata-gen.el, the one elisp source file that
isn't included in the tarball? No wonder I didn't find the place ...

Ulrich

* Re: Display problem in describe-char
@ 2009-04-13  1:12     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-04-13  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Mueller; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <18909.60142.182174.271374@a1i15.kph.uni-mainz.de>, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> writes:

> > I've just installed fixes to suppress composing that
> > diaeresis with the previous quote character.

> Thanks.

> So the problem was in unidata-gen.el, the one elisp source file that
> isn't included in the tarball? No wonder I didn't find the place ...

The char-tables defined in lisp/international/uni-*.el
contain byte-compiled functions that are defined in
unidata-gen.el.  As most parts of unidata-gen.el are not
necessary for running Emacs, it is put in admin/unidata
directory, and the functions in the char-tables are
byte-compiled so that they run without unidata-gen.el.

It may be better to move some parts of unidata-gen.el to
lisp/international/*.el and to autoload them.  But,
currently I don't have a time to work on it.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org