* Default font and umlauts
@ 2009-03-26  7:36 Andreas Neiser
From: Andreas Neiser @ 2009-03-26  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,
first I hope this is the correct mailing list for my problem. Anyway,
I'm experiencing a strange problem with German umlauts while setting the
default font with the following lines in my ~/.emacs

(set-frame-parameter nil 'font-backend '(xft))
(set-frame-font "Terminus-12")

So, the umlauts ä, ö, ü work with the default font, but see the
following screenshot

http://student.physik.uni-mainz.de/~aneiser/emacs.png

It seems that emacs displays umlauts always in the default font and some
special font selections (I guess this is what auctex does) are not handled?
There was also the problem when selecting the default font from the Menu
Options->Set default font. In this case the font was changed but the
font for the umlauts did not... Seems strange to me. If anyone has some
suggestions in debugging this further, misses some information or has
some fix, feel free to tell me :)
I use the CVS version from 20090319, hope this is recent enough.
Thanks for an answer
Andreas

* Re: Default font and umlauts
@ 2009-03-26 11:24 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-03-26 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Neiser; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <49CB3060.9060501@gmail.com>, Andreas Neiser <andreas.neiser@gmail.com> writes:

> first I hope this is the correct mailing list for my problem. Anyway,
> I'm experiencing a strange problem with German umlauts while setting the
> default font with the following lines in my ~/.emacs

> (set-frame-parameter nil 'font-backend '(xft))
> (set-frame-font "Terminus-12")

> So, the umlauts ä, ö, ü work with the default font, but see the
> following screenshot

> http://student.physik.uni-mainz.de/~aneiser/emacs.png

> It seems that emacs displays umlauts always in the default font and some
> special font selections (I guess this is what auctex does) are not handled?

Thank you for the report.  I'm now working on that problem.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Default font and umlauts
@ 2009-03-31  0:46   ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-03-31  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel, andreas.neiser

In article <E1LmnhW-0008Kk-6F@etlken>, Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:

> In article <49CB3060.9060501@gmail.com>, Andreas Neiser <andreas.neiser@gmail.com> writes:
> > first I hope this is the correct mailing list for my problem. Anyway,
> > I'm experiencing a strange problem with German umlauts while setting the
> > default font with the following lines in my ~/.emacs

> > (set-frame-parameter nil 'font-backend '(xft))
> > (set-frame-font "Terminus-12")

> > So, the umlauts ?, ?, ? work with the default font, but see the
> > following screenshot

> > http://student.physik.uni-mainz.de/~aneiser/emacs.png

> > It seems that emacs displays umlauts always in the default font and some
> > special font selections (I guess this is what auctex does) are not handled?

> Thank you for the report.  I'm now working on that problem.

I installed a fix.  Could you please try again?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Default font and umlauts
@ 2009-03-31 10:41     ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2009-03-31 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I installed a fix.  Could you please try again?

  I could also see that bug, not in TeX as the original reporter did, but on headers in muse-mode.
  I used font xft:-unknown-DejaVu Sans-bold-normal-normal-*-21-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1

   And for me it is now working correctly; thanks for the fix.

-- Daniel

* Re: Default font and umlauts
@ 2009-04-03  8:02       ` Andreas Neiser
From: Andreas Neiser @ 2009-04-03  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Daniel Clemente wrote:
>    And for me it is now working correctly; thanks for the fix.

I completely agree. Thanks for the quick fix, Kenichi.

Andreas