* emacs silently ignores buffer file encoding?
@ 2009-02-12  5:25 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-02-12  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

(1) Start emacs -Q
(2) Visit "/tmp/fff"
(3) Insert the following chars: "θϑΘ"
(4) Set the buffer file encoding to latin1 with: C-x C-m f latin-1 RET
(5) Save the buffer: C-x C-s

For me, "/tmp/fff" is saved sucessfully, with no error or prompt, using
an encoding of utf-8 -- despite my having explicitly requested latin-1.

This doesn't seem right...

-Miles

--
Patience, n. A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.

* Re: emacs silently ignores buffer file encoding?
@ 2009-02-12 14:29 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-02-12 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

> (1) Start emacs -Q
> (2) Visit "/tmp/fff"
> (3) Insert the following chars: "θϑΘ"
> (4) Set the buffer file encoding to latin1 with: C-x C-m f latin-1 RET
> (5) Save the buffer: C-x C-s

> For me, "/tmp/fff" is saved sucessfully, with no error or prompt, using
> an encoding of utf-8 -- despite my having explicitly requested latin-1.

> This doesn't seem right...

Indeed, please post it to the bug-tracker: IIRC this has been reported
before, but got lost.

* Re: emacs silently ignores buffer file encoding?
@ 2009-02-12 23:30   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-02-12 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>> For me, "/tmp/fff" is saved sucessfully, with no error or prompt, using
>> an encoding of utf-8 -- despite my having explicitly requested latin-1.
>
>> This doesn't seem right...
>
> Indeed, please post it to the bug-tracker: IIRC this has been reported
> before, but got lost.

How does one post to the bug-tracker?  Is sending to emacs-pretest-bug enough?

Thanks,

-Miles

--
"Most attacks seem to take place at night, during a rainstorm, uphill,
 where four map sheets join."   -- Anon. British Officer in WW I

* Re: emacs silently ignores buffer file encoding?
@ 2009-02-12 23:31     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-02-12 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

Miles Bader wrote:

> How does one post to the bug-tracker?  Is sending to emacs-pretest-bug enough?

admin/notes/bugtracker:

** How do I report a bug in Emacs now?
The same way as you always did. [etc...]

* Re: emacs silently ignores buffer file encoding?
@ 2009-02-16  8:12 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-02-16  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <buoprhocjle.fsf@dhlpc061.dev.necel.com>, Miles Bader <miles.bader@necel.com> writes:

> (1) Start emacs -Q
> (2) Visit "/tmp/fff"
> (3) Insert the following chars: "θϑΘ"
> (4) Set the buffer file encoding to latin1 with: C-x C-m f latin-1 RET
> (5) Save the buffer: C-x C-s

> For me, "/tmp/fff" is saved sucessfully, with no error or prompt, using
> an encoding of utf-8 -- despite my having explicitly requested latin-1.

> This doesn't seem right...

I agree.  I'll work on it if nobody else is working on it.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: emacs silently ignores buffer file encoding?
@ 2009-03-03  2:00   ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-03-03  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel, miles

In article <E1LYyaC-0003ve-HJ@etlken>, Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:

> In article <buoprhocjle.fsf@dhlpc061.dev.necel.com>, Miles Bader <miles.bader@necel.com> writes:
> > (1) Start emacs -Q
> > (2) Visit "/tmp/fff"
> > (3) Insert the following chars: "θϑΘ"
> > (4) Set the buffer file encoding to latin1 with: C-x C-m f latin-1 RET
> > (5) Save the buffer: C-x C-s

> > For me, "/tmp/fff" is saved sucessfully, with no error or prompt, using
> > an encoding of utf-8 -- despite my having explicitly requested latin-1.

> > This doesn't seem right...

> I agree.  I'll work on it if nobody else is working on it.

I've just installed these fixes:

2009-03-03  Kenichi Handa  <handa@m17n.org>

	* files.el (basic-save-buffer-1): Set car part of
	buffer-file-coding-system-explicit.
	(revert-buffer): Check car part of
	buffer-file-coding-system-explicit.

	* international/mule-cmds.el (select-safe-coding-system): If cdr
	part of buffer-file-coding-system-explicit is set, ignore
	default-buffer-file-coding-system and the most preferred coding
	system.

	* international/mule.el (set-buffer-file-coding-system): Set cdr
	part of buffer-file-coding-system-explicit.
	(after-insert-file-set-coding): Set
	buffer-file-coding-system-explicit to a cons.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org