* rmail-get-attr-names: Corrupt attribute header in message
@ 2009-02-16 12:06 Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-02-16 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

With today's update, I frequenty get the above error in
rmail, and RMAIL buffer is left swapped (i.e. showing the
RMAIL file itself).

This is an example of the header of such message.

From sacha@myxomop.com Fri Aug 03 00:22:29 2007
To: Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org>
Subject: Re: [sacha@myxomop.com: Re: XCreateFontSet called for each X window
	emacs frame is heavy]
From: Alexander Kotelnikov <sacha@myxomop.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 19:17:47 +0400

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: rmail-get-attr-names: Corrupt attribute header in message
@ 2009-02-16 22:50 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-02-16 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa wrote:

> With today's update, I frequenty get the above error in
> rmail, and RMAIL buffer is left swapped (i.e. showing the
> RMAIL file itself).

Well, that sounds like it might be a bug.

What does the next line look like? Does it start with whitespace?

What does (rmail-get-header rmail-attribute-header) return for this
message?

* Re: rmail-get-attr-names: Corrupt attribute header in message
@ 2009-02-17  0:50   ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-02-17  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <poljs6nghy.fsf@fencepost.gnu.org>, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Kenichi Handa wrote:
> > With today's update, I frequenty get the above error in
> > rmail, and RMAIL buffer is left swapped (i.e. showing the
> > RMAIL file itself).

> Well, that sounds like it might be a bug.

> What does the next line look like? Does it start with whitespace?

The next line is empty.

> What does (rmail-get-header rmail-attribute-header) return for this
> message?

"-------"

I'll attach the small RMAIL file that causes this problem.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

[-- Attachment #2: sample rmail file --]

* Re: rmail-get-attr-names: Corrupt attribute header in message
@ 2009-02-17  2:25     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-02-17  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa wrote:

>> What does (rmail-get-header rmail-attribute-header) return for this
>> message?
>
> "-------"

That should have 8 elements, not 7.

> I'll attach the small RMAIL file that causes this problem.

There are three messages in the attached file.
In the second and third one, the X-RMAIL-ATTRIBUTES header is indeed
corrupt. It only contains 7 "-" when it should contain 8. If you add
an extra "-", it should work.

I don't know why that happened; it should not. Perhaps you could look
into how it came about?

Such headers are wrong, but I'll change it to just print a warning
rather than giving an error in such cases.

* Re: rmail-get-attr-names: Corrupt attribute header in message
@ 2009-02-17  2:40       ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-02-17  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <ce3aedn6iy.fsf@fencepost.gnu.org>, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Kenichi Handa wrote:
>>> What does (rmail-get-header rmail-attribute-header) return for this
>>> message?
> >
> > "-------"

> That should have 8 elements, not 7.

> > I'll attach the small RMAIL file that causes this problem.

> There are three messages in the attached file.
> In the second and third one, the X-RMAIL-ATTRIBUTES header is indeed
> corrupt. It only contains 7 "-" when it should contain 8. If you add
> an extra "-", it should work.

> I don't know why that happened; it should not. Perhaps you could look
> into how it came about?

Hasn't the number of attributes been increased after pmail
was merged to rmail?  I think the number was 7 when my RMAIL
file was converted to the mbox.

> Such headers are wrong, but I'll change it to just print a warning
> rather than giving an error in such cases.

How about just silently adding one more "-" in such a case?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org