* funny cursor movement using C-f on composition?
@ 2009-02-05 23:34 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-02-05 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

With the following string displayed in an emacs buffer:

   yá̧̗̂̄h!

Moving the cursor _backwards_ with C-b (starting on "!", ending on "y")
seems to work correctly, but moving _forwards_ with C-f (starting on
"y", ending on "!"), the cursor "sticks" once after moving from "a" to
"h", before moving from "h" to "!".

The sequence of cursor positions with C-f is:

   0 y	pos 1
   1 a	pos 2
   2 ́
   3 ̗
   4 ̧
   5 ̂	pos 3
   6 ̄
   7 h	pos 4
   8 !	pos 5

So, "pos 3" is unexpected...

Thanks,

-Miles

--
`Suppose Korea goes to the World Cup final against Japan and wins,' Moon said.
`All the past could be forgiven.'   [NYT]

* Re: funny cursor movement using C-f on composition?
@ 2009-02-06  0:37 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-02-06  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <87iqnosbkh.fsf@catnip.gol.com>, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> With the following string displayed in an emacs buffer:
>    yá̧̗̂̄h!

> Moving the cursor _backwards_ with C-b (starting on "!", ending on "y")
> seems to work correctly, but moving _forwards_ with C-f (starting on
> "y", ending on "!"), the cursor "sticks" once after moving from "a" to
> "h", before moving from "h" to "!".

It seems that there still is a bug of composition handling.
I'll check it.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: funny cursor movement using C-f on composition?
@ 2009-02-06 12:14 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-02-06 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <87iqnosbkh.fsf@catnip.gol.com>, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> With the following string displayed in an emacs buffer:
>    ya?????h!

I once read the above line correctly by rmail, but, when I
resarted Emacs and read that mail, the non-ASCII chars in
the above line were changed to just "?????".  It seems that
that change was done when RMAIL file was saved.  So I got
the correct line from gmane.emacs.devel by Gnus as this:

   yá̧̗̂̄h!

Anyway, it seems that there's still a bug in composition
handling.  I'll check it.

By the way, the mail archive for emacs-devel also has a
problem with those characters.  Please see this page:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-02/msg00322.html

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: funny cursor movement using C-f on composition?
@ 2009-02-08  8:13   ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-02-08  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel, Miles Bader

Kenichi Handa wrote:
> In article <87iqnosbkh.fsf@catnip.gol.com>, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:
>

>> Moving the cursor _backwards_ with C-b (starting on "!", ending on "y")
>> seems to work correctly, but moving _forwards_ with C-f (starting on
>> "y", ending on "!"), the cursor "sticks" once after moving from "a" to
>> "h", before moving from "h" to "!".
>>

> It seems that there still is a bug of composition handling.
> I'll check it.

It may be related to bug #2190, where some composed characters do not
appear in the buffer (which also seems to involve a number of characters
miscalculation).

* Re: funny cursor movement using C-f on composition?
@ 2009-02-12  6:09   ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-02-12  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel, miles

In article <E1LVEiq-0004Gp-Nf@etlken>, Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:

> In article <87iqnosbkh.fsf@catnip.gol.com>, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:
> > With the following string displayed in an emacs buffer:
> >    yá̧̗̂̄h!

> > Moving the cursor _backwards_ with C-b (starting on "!", ending on "y")
> > seems to work correctly, but moving _forwards_ with C-f (starting on
> > "y", ending on "!"), the cursor "sticks" once after moving from "a" to
> > "h", before moving from "h" to "!".

> It seems that there still is a bug of composition handling.
> I'll check it.

I installed a fix.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: funny cursor movement using C-f on composition?
@ 2009-02-12  6:11     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2009-02-12  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: miles, emacs-devel

In article <498E9442.2010001@gnu.org>, Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org> writes:

> Kenichi Handa wrote:
> > In article <87iqnosbkh.fsf@catnip.gol.com>, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:
> >
>>> Moving the cursor _backwards_ with C-b (starting on "!", ending on "y")
>>> seems to work correctly, but moving _forwards_ with C-f (starting on
>>> "y", ending on "!"), the cursor "sticks" once after moving from "a" to
>>> "h", before moving from "h" to "!".
>>>

> > It seems that there still is a bug of composition handling.
> > I'll check it.
> >

> It may be related to bug #2190, where some composed characters do not
> appear in the buffer (which also seems to involve a number of characters
> miscalculation).

Ah! Yes, that bug should be fixed by my recent change.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

* Re: funny cursor movement using C-f on composition?
@ 2009-02-12  7:17     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2009-02-12  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:
>> >    yá̧̗̂̄h!
>
> I installed a fix.

yá̧̗̂̄y!!   I can confirm that it's fixed!  :-)

Also, it now correctly displays _both_ the cedilla and the "acute accent
below" -- before it only displayed the "acute accent below" (I thought
it was just that the cedilla was obscured, but I guess it was actually a
display bug).

Thanks,

-Miles

--
History, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are
brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools.