* Idea for syntax-ppss.  Is it new?  Could it be any good?
@ 2008-07-26 21:44 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2008-07-26 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi, Emacs,

Looking at the doc string for syntax-ppss, it seems this could be _very_
useful in a certain body of code I'm responsible for.  That body of code
has a lot of heuristics that determine whether point is within a
string/comment, and some of these are not watertight (such as hard-coded
limits on comment sizes to achieve speed).  Basically, they're a PITA.
syntax-ppss, if it was guaranteed watertight, could remove the gnawing
uncertainty from much of the code.

However, the manual documents limitations on syntax-ppss's functionality.

How about reimplementing it thusly?:  The current syntax would be cached
for positions at every N bytes (where N would be, perhaps 1024, possibly
8192).  A call to syntax-ppss would simply call parse-partial-sexp from
the latest valid cached position, filling out the cache as it goes.  Any
buffer change would invalidate cached values for N > POS.

I envisage coding this in C rather than Lisp.  There would be some
complications to do with making sure the syntax table isn't tampered
with, and so on.  This code would surely be fast and reliable.

Obviously I'm not proposing this for the pending release, but what do
people think about the idea?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany)

* Better parse-partial-sexp; multiple major modes (was: Idea for syntax-ppss)
@ 2008-08-31  9:39 Daniel Colascione
From: Daniel Colascione @ 2008-08-31  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Jul 27, 2008, at 10:50 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> What I think really needs doing is to make this function
> bulletproof: It
> should work on narrowed buffers, it should give reliable elements 2
> and
> 6, its cache should be cleared when functions like `modify-syntax-
> entry'
> are called or parse-sexp-lookup-properties is changed, and the cache
> should be bound to nil on `with-syntax-table'.  I actually think it
> could be useful to maintain several parallel caches, each for a
> different syntax-table (or an equivalence class of syntax tables).
> And
> so on.  Basically, I would like `(syntax-ppss)' to tell me with 100%
> reliability, no ifs, no buts, whether I am at top-level, in a comment,
> or in a string.

Such a thing would have to live on the C side of things, right? (With
the proliferation of with-this and inhibit-that options available to
Lisp, I don't see how one can easily and robustly catch all buffer
modification. Not to mention that no matter which of before-change-
functions and after-change-functions you used, you could still race
against other functions using the same facility.)

If this perfectly caching parse-partial-sexp lives in C anyway, why
not just call it parse-partial-sexp? Optimize parse-partial-sexp for
the case of start being 1 or (point-min). syntax-ppss becomes a simple
wrapper. Not only would it be possible to robustly catch all buffer
and context modification, but by optimizing the existing function, all
existing users would automatically win. I'd offer to write a patch,
but I don't know the core well enough to know how to "easily and
robustly catch all buffer modification".

> Also, Lennart is asking for it to work nicely with multiple major
> modes.
> Surely this would be a Good Thing.  Files containing several major
> modes
> are commonplace (awk or sed embedded within a shell script, html
> embedded within php, ....).

After several attempts at using and understanding multiple major mode
facilities, I'm convinced the only way forward is core support for the
concept. Lennart's done a fine job with what's in Emacs currently. But
anything involving multiple major modes today is a quivering mound of
hacks. All the work Lennart's had to do to get modes playing nice with
each other is a testament to that.

Maybe a core solution could be something like this: in a given buffer,
each character has a chunk-name character property. You'd buffer-
locally map chunk names to major modes. For each chunk name, create a
buffer containing just the text assigned to that chunk. Make the major-
mode the major mode for the chunk buffer, and let that major-mode
handle fontification, keybindings, and so on. In the main buffer,
assemble the various bits from the chunk-buffers and allow the user to
navigate the combined buffer normally.

Keybindings with point at a particular character would just be the
keybindings present in that character's chunk-buffer. If you need
special keybindings common across all chunk buffers, just bind the key
in all the chunk buffers. If a given chunk needs placeholder text to
represent text of some other chunk, it should be possible add it to
that chunk buffer without affecting any of the others.

Anyway, this scheme is:

1) Robust - no messing around with variables, no tweaking fontification
2) Backwards compatible - a major-mode doesn't need to know it's being
used this way
3) Versatile - you can compose arbitrary modes this way, even
recursively
4) Conceptually simple (I hope)

Any thoughts?