* composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-06-13 14:27 Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-06-13 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Accented characters are infrequently used in Cyrillic writing, but I
think the Quail input methods should support them.  I am puzzled by the
look of such characters:

а̀у̀

        character: а (1072, #o2060, #x430)
preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
       code point: 0x0430
           syntax: w 	which means: word
         category: Y:Cyrillic characters of 2-byte character sets c:Chinese h:Korean j:Japanese y:Cyrillic
      buffer code: #xD0 #xB0
        file code: #xD0 #xB0 (encoded by coding system utf-8-emacs)
          display: composed to form "а̀" (see below)

Composed with the following character(s) "̀" by the rule:
	(?а (tc . bc) ?̀)
The component character(s) are displayed by these fonts (glyph codes):
 а: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-iso10646-1 (#x430)
 ̀: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-iso10646-1 (#x300)
See the variable `reference-point-alist' for the meaning of the rule.

Character code properties are not shown: customize what to show

There are text properties here:
  auto-composed        t
  composition          [Show]
  fontified            t

It really looks unpleasant in the font recorded here, taking up two rows
so the accent can be displayed alone on top of the letter, so I'm
curious if Emacs will pick the right appearance if the font has an
accented version of the character.  I don't have such a font.  I don't
know all the nuances here, sorry if this is an obvious question.

I also think Quail Cyrillic input methods should support the „"
characters, which are not the same as the Latin quote marks AFAIK, and
are important in Cyrillic writing (at least in Bulgarian, to my
knowledge).

I'll be glad to implement the Quail changes if they are OK with
everyone.  I didn't go ahead and implement them because I'm not familiar
with any existing conventions; maybe there's a reason why they have not
been added yet.

I'd like to know about the font look but it's not an impediment to the
Quail changes.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-06-13 15:11 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-06-13 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:27:41 -0500
>
> I also think Quail Cyrillic input methods should support the „"
> characters

100% agreement.

> I'll be glad to implement the Quail changes if they are OK with
> everyone.  I didn't go ahead and implement them because I'm not familiar
> with any existing conventions; maybe there's a reason why they have not
> been added yet.

Please go ahead.  In my experience, most omissions in the input
methods are not intentional, they are just because no one cared enough
to include them.

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-06-13 15:56 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-06-13 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> It really looks unpleasant in the font recorded here, taking up two rows
> so the accent can be displayed alone on top of the letter, so I'm
> curious if Emacs will pick the right appearance if the font has an
> accented version of the character.

No. There are no unicode codepoints for those accented characters AFAICS
so we can't do the substitution within Emacs. The only way to combine
them would be if the font contained GSUB (glyph substitution) tables
with entries for those sequences of characters, and Emacs had been told
to use font-shape-text for displaying Cyrillic (currently it is only
used for Indic and some South East Asian scripts, but should be for
Arabic as well). The library that Emacs uses for shaping
(libotf/m17n-flt or on Windows uniscribe) might need some knowledge of
those accented characters as well, I'm not entirely sure of how glyph
shaping all fits together.

Different fonts might have different metrics for the accent characters
though, which could improve the appearance.

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-06-13 18:09   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-06-13 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 16:56:20 +0100 Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org> wrote:

JR> Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> It really looks unpleasant in the font recorded here, taking up two rows
>> so the accent can be displayed alone on top of the letter, so I'm
>> curious if Emacs will pick the right appearance if the font has an
>> accented version of the character.

JR> No. There are no unicode codepoints for those accented characters
JR> AFAICS so we can't do the substitution within Emacs. The only way to
JR> combine them would be if the font contained GSUB (glyph substitution)
JR> tables with entries for those sequences of characters, and Emacs had
JR> been told to use font-shape-text for displaying Cyrillic (currently it
JR> is only used for Indic and some South East Asian scripts, but should
JR> be for Arabic as well). The library that Emacs uses for shaping
JR> (libotf/m17n-flt or on Windows uniscribe) might need some knowledge of
JR> those accented characters as well, I'm not entirely sure of how glyph
JR> shaping all fits together.

I understand better now.  I'll work without composition.  How do I
generate composed characters for Quail mappings?  I couldn't figure it
out with compose-chars.

I found accented a and o in the Latin-1 map, and accented u (у) is not
available by itself.  I'd like to get the accented у character for
completeness, but Latin-* only has an accented y with the accent going
in the wrong direction (ý).  It's probably more proper to do the
Cyrillic аоu(у) as composed characters, but I don't know.

Accented e and i were in the Cyrillic map and look fine.  These accented
characters are rare enough that it doesn't matter; in common usage only
ѝ is found (in Bulgarian, at least).  The others are used only if the
writer wants to emphasize which syllable to stress upon pronunciation,
as in a dictionary, AFAIK.

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 18:11:19 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> I'll be glad to implement the Quail changes if they are OK with
>> everyone.  I didn't go ahead and implement them because I'm not familiar
>> with any existing conventions; maybe there's a reason why they have not
>> been added yet.

EZ> Please go ahead.  In my experience, most omissions in the input
EZ> methods are not intentional, they are just because no one cared enough
EZ> to include them.

Thanks.  I did:

	* quail/cyrillic.el: Add quotation marks, paragraph symbol, angled
	brackets, number symbol, and accented aeio to cyrillic-translit.

The quotation marks are both ‚‘ and „“ (plus «» which are also common).
Let me know if I've missed anything.

I can add these to the other cyrillic-* methods if people think it's
useful.

@ 2008-06-14  9:44     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-06-14  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:09:12 -0500
>
> 	* quail/cyrillic.el: Add quotation marks, paragraph symbol, angled
> 	brackets, number symbol, and accented aeio to cyrillic-translit.
>
> The quotation marks are both ‚‘ and „“ (plus «» which are also common).
> Let me know if I've missed anything.
>
> I can add these to the other cyrillic-* methods if people think it's
> useful.

Thanks.

cyrillic-translit is what I use all the time (because it makes my life
so easy on any keyboard), but I think all cyrillic-* input methods
should in general support the same repertoire of characters.

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-06-14 18:55       ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2008-06-14 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Ted Zlatanov, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > cyrillic-translit is what I use all the time (because it makes my life
 > so easy on any keyboard), but I think all cyrillic-* input methods
 > should in general support the same repertoire of characters.

This is true for the input methods of each language family.  Somebody
could write a script to do repertoire checks.  Sorry, it isn't going
to be me today.

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-06-14 19:45         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-06-14 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull; +Cc: tzz, emacs-devel

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
> Cc: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>,
>     emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 03:55:49 +0900
>
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>
>  > cyrillic-translit is what I use all the time (because it makes my life
>  > so easy on any keyboard), but I think all cyrillic-* input methods
>  > should in general support the same repertoire of characters.
>
> This is true for the input methods of each language family.

Yes, that's what I meant to say (but did it in a way that could be
interpreted otherwise).

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-06-18 20:17           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-06-18 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 22:45:04 +0300 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
>> Cc: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>,
>> emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 03:55:49 +0900
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>>
>> > cyrillic-translit is what I use all the time (because it makes my
>> > life so easy on any keyboard), but I think all cyrillic-* input
>> > methods should in general support the same repertoire of
>> > characters.
>>
>> This is true for the input methods of each language family.

EZ> Yes, that's what I meant to say (but did it in a way that could be
EZ> interpreted otherwise).

I'll set up quail-define-rules to run with the append argument for each
method.  Something like

(dolist (method '(cyrillic-translit cyrillic-yawerty ...))
  (... switch to Quail method ...)
  (quail-define-rules (append . t) (... characters ...)))

Does anyone know how to list all the Quail methods matching a regex, and
how to switch to a Quail package?  All the examples use
quail-define-package to switch to the package and I hope I don't have to
dig into the macros to figure out how to switch to an already-defined
package.

I'll abstract the common elements so they are not entered multiple times
and find which elements are not covered by which methods once I get the
above working.

@ 2008-06-19 11:45             ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-06-19 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <86lk12zee7.fsf@lifelogs.com>, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I'll set up quail-define-rules to run with the append argument for each
> method.  Something like

> (dolist (method '(cyrillic-translit cyrillic-yawerty ...))
>   (... switch to Quail method ...)
>   (quail-define-rules (append . t) (... characters ...)))

> Does anyone know how to list all the Quail methods matching a regex,

You can check elements of input-method-alist.

> and
> how to switch to a Quail package?
> All the examples use
> quail-define-package to switch to the package and I hope I don't have to
> dig into the macros to figure out how to switch to an already-defined
> package.

You can use quail-defrule.

emacs/leim/leim-ext.el adds extra rules to the existing input method by:

(eval-after-load "quail/..."
   '(quail-defrule "..." ...))

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-02 20:25               ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-07-02 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 20:45:20 +0900 Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> wrote:

KH> In article <86lk12zee7.fsf@lifelogs.com>, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>> and how to switch to a Quail package?  All the examples use
>> quail-define-package to switch to the package and I hope I don't have
>> to dig into the macros to figure out how to switch to an
>> already-defined package.

KH> You can use quail-defrule.

KH> emacs/leim/leim-ext.el adds extra rules to the existing input method by:

KH> (eval-after-load "quail/..."
KH>    '(quail-defrule "..." ...))

Thank you.  I have this:

(dolist (method
         ;; there must be a better way to do this grep :)
	 (remove nil
		 (mapcar
		  (lambda(m)
		    (let ((name (car-safe m)))
		      (when (string-match "cyrillic" name)
			name)))
		  input-method-alist)))
  (quail-defrule ",," ?„ method)
  (quail-defrule "\"\"" ?“ method))

but it is not working, because the method name is not the right thing to
specify for quail-defrule.  I hope I don't have to use a macro to do

(eval-after-load "quail/..."
  '(quail-defrule "A" ?B nil t))

for each such method, as leim-ext.el does.  I hope also I don't have to
modify input-method-alist directly, but it seems right now that is the
best option.

@ 2008-07-03  2:29                 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-07-03  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <86r6acqbif.fsf@lifelogs.com>, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

KH> You can use quail-defrule.

KH> emacs/leim/leim-ext.el adds extra rules to the existing input method by:

KH> (eval-after-load "quail/..."
KH>    '(quail-defrule "..." ...))

> Thank you.  I have this:

> (dolist (method
>          ;; there must be a better way to do this grep :)
> 	 (remove nil
> 		 (mapcar
> 		  (lambda(m)
> 		    (let ((name (car-safe m)))
> 		      (when (string-match "cyrillic" name)
> 			name)))
> 		  input-method-alist)))
>   (quail-defrule ",," ?„ method)
>   (quail-defrule "\"\"" ?“ method))

> but it is not working, because the method name is not the right thing to
> specify for quail-defrule.

NAME surely should work as far as that input method is
already loaded.

>  I hope I don't have to use a macro to do

> (eval-after-load "quail/..."
>   '(quail-defrule "A" ?B nil t))

> for each such method, as leim-ext.el does.

Why?

> I hope also I don't have to modify input-method-alist
> directly, but it seems right now that is the best option.

In what way, are you going to modify input-method-alist?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-03 19:53                   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-07-03 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 11:29:53 +0900 Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> wrote:

KH> In article <86r6acqbif.fsf@lifelogs.com>, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
KH> You can use quail-defrule.

KH> emacs/leim/leim-ext.el adds extra rules to the existing input method by:

KH> (eval-after-load "quail/..."
KH> '(quail-defrule "..." ...))

>> Thank you.  I have this:
>> but it is not working, because the method name is not the right thing to
>> specify for quail-defrule.

KH> NAME surely should work as far as that input method is
KH> already loaded.

Right, I'm trying to do the above for input methods that are in
input-method-alist but not necessarily loaded.  So this works:

(dolist (method
	 (remove nil
		 (mapcar
		  (lambda(m)
		    (let ((name (car-safe m)))
		      (when (and (string-match "cyrillic" name)
				 (quail-package name))
			name)))
		  input-method-alist)))
  (message "Defining rules for method %s" method)
  (quail-defrule ",," ?„ method))

The question is, should I load those input methods explicitly, or just
assume that it's enough to handle what's in leim/quail/cyrillic.el?

Specifically, cyrillic-jis-russian wouldn't be handled this way, and it
can benefit from the extended mappings I am creating (proper double
quotes „ “, single quotes ‚‘ and the № § « » symbols).  If I should
special-case it in leim-ext.el that's fine, I'm just trying to approach
it programmatically.

I think the croatian-*, slovak-*, czech-* and slovenian-* methods
(broadly speaking, the Slavic languages) can also use the extra symbols
(their names doen't match "cyrillic" in the above loop so I'd have to
add them to the regex).  If any speakers of those languages or other
languages from the region have an opinion, please let us know.  I
changed the subject accordingly.  AFAIK the symbols I mentioned above
are widely used in the region, but I only know Russian and Bulgarian use
them for sure.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-05 12:54                     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-07-05 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <864p76lp60.fsf_-_@lifelogs.com>, Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Right, I'm trying to do the above for input methods that are in
> input-method-alist but not necessarily loaded.  So this works:

> (dolist (method
> 	 (remove nil
> 		 (mapcar
> 		  (lambda(m)
> 		    (let ((name (car-safe m)))
> 		      (when (and (string-match "cyrillic" name)
> 				 (quail-package name))
> 			name)))
> 		  input-method-alist)))
>   (message "Defining rules for method %s" method)
>   (quail-defrule ",," ?„ method))

> The question is, should I load those input methods explicitly, or just
> assume that it's enough to handle what's in leim/quail/cyrillic.el?

You can't assume that all "cyrillic*" input methods are in
leim/quail/cyrillic.el.  So the safest (and more efficient)
way is something like this:

(mapc (lambda(m)
	(let ((name (car m)))
	  (when (string-match "cyrillic" name)
	    (message "Defining rules for method %s" method)
	    (activate-input-method name)
	    (quail-defrule ",," ?„)
	    (inactivate-input-method))))
      input-method-alist)

But, I'm now thiking about introducing this variable to
avoid eval-after-load in leim-ext.el:

;;;###autoload
(defvar quail-additional-rule-alist nil
  "Alist of Quail package names vs. the rules to add after loading the package.
Each element has the form (PACKAGE-NAME RULE ...), where
PACKAGE-NAME is a Quail package name (string representing an input method),
and RULE is a translation rule of the form (KEY TRANSLATION APPEND).
See the documentaion of the function `quail-defrule' for the meanings
or KEY, TRANSLATION, and APPEND.")

With this, you can do:

(mapc (lambda(m)
	(let ((name (car m)))
	  (when (string-match "cyrillic" name)
	    (message "Defining rules for method %s" method)
	    (push (list name '(",," ?„)) quail-additional-rule-alist))))
      input-method-alist)

> Specifically, cyrillic-jis-russian wouldn't be handled this way, and it
> can benefit from the extended mappings I am creating (proper double
> quotes „ “, single quotes ‚‘ and the № § « » symbols).  If I should
> special-case it in leim-ext.el that's fine, I'm just trying to approach
> it programmatically.

I think cyrillic-jis-russian is now obsolete because all
Cyrillic character in JIS are now unified into Unicode.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-06 18:40                       ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-06 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: Ted Zlatanov, emacs-devel

> But, I'm now thiking about introducing this variable to
> avoid eval-after-load in leim-ext.el:
>
> ;;;###autoload
> (defvar quail-additional-rule-alist nil
>   "Alist of Quail package names vs. the rules to add after loading the package.
> Each element has the form (PACKAGE-NAME RULE ...), where
> PACKAGE-NAME is a Quail package name (string representing an input method),
> and RULE is a translation rule of the form (KEY TRANSLATION APPEND).
> See the documentaion of the function `quail-defrule' for the meanings
> or KEY, TRANSLATION, and APPEND.")
>
> With this, you can do:
>
> (mapc (lambda(m)
> 	(let ((name (car m)))
> 	  (when (string-match "cyrillic" name)
> 	    (message "Defining rules for method %s" method)
> 	    (push (list name '(",," ?„)) quail-additional-rule-alist))))
>       input-method-alist)

Since a list of necessary Unicode characters is too large and it is
not limited to Cyrillic, what do you think about creating a new
input method that could be activated simultaneously with language
specific input method?  In case of conflicting rules we could specify
the priority by using the order of active input methods e.g.
"unicode-map,cyrillic-translit" vs "cyrillic-translit,unicode-map"
in a new variable like `quail-additional-input-methods'.

As I see now there are at least two main types of input methods:

1. mapping a keyboard layout to language letters (like `cyrillic-jcuken');

2. multi-key input methods to compose letters of one specific
   language.

What is missing is a multi-key input method to input arbitrary
Unicode characters in addition to the active language specific
input method.

The closest Unicode character input method I see is `sgml-input.el'
but it relies on remembering the names of SGML entities.

A better method could use mnemonics, and a good candidate is
X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose for the X Window Input Method.
For example, it uses the following mnemonic rules for quotation marks:

<<           "«"   LEFT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE QUOTATION MARK
>>           "»"   RIGHT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE QUOTATION MARK
'<           "‘"   LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
'>           "’"   RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
',           "‚"   SINGLE LOW-9 QUOTATION MARK
"<           "“"   LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK
">           "”"   RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK
",           "„"   DOUBLE LOW-9 QUOTATION MARK

and ~5000 other rules for many Unicode characters.

Do you know a better method to input Unicode characters?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-06 18:41     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-06 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Thanks.  I did:
>
> 	* quail/cyrillic.el: Add quotation marks, paragraph symbol, angled
> 	brackets, number symbol, and accented aeio to cyrillic-translit.
>
> The quotation marks are both ‚‘ and „“ (plus «» which are also common).
> Let me know if I've missed anything.

I am disappointed by this change.  It has several drawbacks:

1. It uses the acute accent to put the grave accent above letters,
e.g. ("'a" ?à) ("'o" ?ò).  A correct way to implement this is to use the
acute accent to put the acute accent above letters, and to use the grave
accent to put the grave accent above letters, as all Latin input methods
do, e.g. ("'a" ?á) ("'o" ?ó) ("`a" ?à) ("`o" ?ò).

2. It uses accented Latin letters à, ò that is inappropriate for
Cyrillic texts.  The only valid way (as I understand according to
Unicode specifications) is to use combining characters.

3. It turns "'" into a prefix key, but it is used to input "ь" according
to the rule ("'" ?ь).

4. «»“„‘‚§№ is too limited set of necessary characters and this set is
not specific to `cyrillic-translit'.  Different styles of quotation
marks are required by typographic rules in other several languages and
scripts besides Cyrillic, and these rules also require using other
symbols like dashes of different lengths, nbsp, 1/2, 1/4, subscripts,
copyright, currency signs, and many more.

So instead of copying the same rules to all input method a better way
is to create a separate common input method with all these special symbols
and to share it with language specific input methods.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-06 22:54                         ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-07-06 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: Ted Zlatanov, emacs-devel, Kenichi Handa

Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:
> and ~5000 other rules for many Unicode characters.
>
> Do you know a better method to input Unicode characters?

rfc1345 isn't too bad.  It also uses mnemonics to a degree (though they
are often kind of weird), and has pretty good coverage.

-Miles

--
Christian, n. One who follows the teachings of Christ so long as they are not
inconsistent with a life of sin.

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-07  1:57                         ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-07-07  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: tzz, emacs-devel

In article <87ej66ubkv.fsf@jurta.org>, Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:

> Since a list of necessary Unicode characters is too large and it is
> not limited to Cyrillic, what do you think about creating a new
> input method that could be activated simultaneously with language
> specific input method?  In case of conflicting rules we could specify
> the priority by using the order of active input methods e.g.
> "unicode-map,cyrillic-translit" vs "cyrillic-translit,unicode-map"
> in a new variable like `quail-additional-input-methods'.

I remember that activating multiple input methods was
discussed a while ago on this list, but don't remember the
conclusion.

Unfortunately, I don't have a time to implement it at the
moment.  If there's someone who want to work on it, I'm
gladly help him.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-07  4:39                           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-07-07  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: Juri Linkov, tzz, emacs-devel

> I remember that activating multiple input methods was
> discussed a while ago on this list, but don't remember the
> conclusion.

:-(  My memory was telling me that you had implemented and installed
it already.

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-07  5:25                             ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-07-07  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: juri, tzz, emacs-devel

In article <jwvzlouwbof.fsf-monnier+emacs@gnu.org>, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> > I remember that activating multiple input methods was
> > discussed a while ago on this list, but don't remember the
> > conclusion.

> :-(  My memory was telling me that you had implemented and installed
> it already.

Ah!!!  Now I remembered that I wrote a experimental code in
a little bit tricky way.  I dig out the attached mail.  But,
I completely forgot about it because there was no response
at that time.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

From: Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org>
To: rms@gnu.org
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 15:48:38 +0900
Cc: blais@furius.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: smartquotes.el -- Insertion of unicode quotes in text documents

In article <E1IR12U-0000a1-Fv@fencepost.gnu.org>, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     What kind of user interface should be provided for
>     activating and deactivating multiple input methods?

> Here's one idea: the user enables and disables one input method,
> directly, and the others are enabled or disabled by a Lisp interface.
> That Lisp interface can be called by other commands.

> Does this solve that one problem?

Yes.  I implemented it as an add-on code (with a little bit
tricky way).  Once it is found that it works well, I'll
merge the code into mule-cmds.el while cleaning the code.

Please try the attached code with the latest
emacs-unicode-2.  The Lisp interfaces are the functions
activate-preposition-input-method and
inactivate-preposition-input-method.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

(defvar local-input-method-list nil
  "List of local preposition input methods.")
(make-variable-buffer-local 'local-input-method-list)
(defvar global-input-method-list nil
  "List of global preposition input methods.")
(defvar normal-input-method nil
  "Currently active normal (i.e. non-preposion) input method.")

(defun multi-input-method-function (event)
  "Input method function used while some preposition input method is active."
  (let ((disable-input-method-hook t)
	unread-command-events)
    (dolist (elt (append global-input-method-list
			 local-input-method-list))
      (let (input-method-history default-input-method)
	(activate-input-method elt)
	(setq unread-command-events
	      (nreverse (funcall input-method-function event)))
	(setq event (car unread-command-events)
	      unread-command-events (cdr unread-command-events))))
    (let (input-method-history)
      (inactivate-input-method))
    (setq current-input-method nil
	  current-input-method-title nil)
    (unwind-protect
	(if normal-input-method
	    (progn
	      (activate-input-method normal-input-method)
	      (append (funcall input-method-function event)
		      unread-command-events))
	  (cons event unread-command-events))
      (setq input-method-function 'multi-input-method-function))))

;; If non-nil, disable input-method-hook.
(defvar disable-input-method-hook nil)

;; A function for input-method-active-hook used while some preposition
;; input method is active.
(defun input-method-activate-hook ()
  (unless disable-input-method-hook
    (setq normal-input-method current-input-method)
    (if (or local-input-method-list global-input-method-list)
	(setq input-method-function 'multi-input-method-function))))

;; A function for input-method-inactivate-hook used while some
;; preposition input method is active.
(defun input-method-inactivate-hook ()
  (unless disable-input-method-hook
    (setq normal-input-method nil)
    (if (or local-input-method-list global-input-method-list)
	(setq input-method-function 'multi-input-method-function))))

(defun activate-preposition-input-method (input-method global)
  "Activate a preposition INPUT-METHOD.
INPUT-METHOD is handled before a normal input method.
If the second arg GLOBAL is non-nil, activate it for all buffers.
Otherwise, activate it only for the current buffer."
  (if (and input-method (symbolp input-method))
      (setq input-method (symbol-name input-method)))
  (or (assoc input-method input-method-alist)
      (error "Unknown input method: %s" input-method))
  (unless (assoc-string input-method
			(if global global-input-method-list
			  local-input-method-list))
    (or global-input-method-list
	local-input-method-list
	(progn
	  (add-hook 'input-method-activate-hook
		    'input-method-activate-hook)
	  (add-hook 'input-method-inactivate-hook
		    'input-method-inactivate-hook)))
    (setq normal-input-method current-input-method)
    (if global
	(progn
	  (push input-method global-input-method-list)
	  (setq-default input-method-function 'multi-input-method-function))
      (push input-method local-input-method-list))
    (make-local-variable 'input-method-function)
    (setq input-method-function 'multi-input-method-function)))

(defun inactivate-preposition-input-method (input-method global)
  "Inactivate a proposition INPUT-METHOD.
If the second arg GLOBAL is non-nil, inactivate it for all buffers.
Otherwise, inactivate it only for the curren buffer."
  (if (and input-method (symbolp input-method))
      (setq input-method (symbol-name input-method)))
  (if global
      (setq global-input-method-list
	    (delete input-method global-input-method-list))
    (setq local-input-method-list
	  (delete input-method local-input-method-list)))
  (or global-input-method-list
      local-input-method-list
      (progn
	(remove-hook 'input-method-activate-hook
		     'input-method-activate-hook)
	(remove-hook 'input-method-inactivate-hook
		     'input-method-inactivate-hook)
	(setq input-method-function nil)
	(when normal-input-method
	  (inactivate-input-method)

@ 2008-07-07 19:42                               ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-07-07 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 14:25:02 +0900 Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> wrote:

KH> In article <jwvzlouwbof.fsf-monnier+emacs@gnu.org>, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:
>> > I remember that activating multiple input methods was
>> > discussed a while ago on this list, but don't remember the
>> > conclusion.

>> :-(  My memory was telling me that you had implemented and installed
>> it already.

KH> Ah!!!  Now I remembered that I wrote a experimental code in
KH> a little bit tricky way.  I dig out the attached mail.  But,
KH> I completely forgot about it because there was no response
KH> at that time.

If this can go into the trunk, I'll be glad to use it (my changes will
then be unnecessary).  The only caution is that universal sequences are
not always intuitive; a good example is that I put "/ab" for paragraph
because that makes sense in Bulgarian ("абзац" means paragraph,
pronounced "abzatz").  So it would be nice to have a universal input
method plus custom rules at the intermediate level (e.g. cyrillic-*).

@ 2008-07-07 20:12       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-07-07 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 21:41:45 +0300 Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> wrote:

JL> 1. It uses the acute accent to put the grave accent above letters,
JL> e.g. ("'a" ?à) ("'o" ?ò).  A correct way to implement this is to use the
JL> acute accent to put the acute accent above letters, and to use the grave
JL> accent to put the grave accent above letters, as all Latin input methods
JL> do, e.g. ("'a" ?á) ("'o" ?ó) ("`a" ?à) ("`o" ?ò).

You are right.  But please note that AFAIK in Cyrillic it's rare to find
acute accents, so the idea was "accent the next letter" and the ' key is
much more convenient on modern keyboards.  For Cyrillic in particular,
it may make sense to use ' as the accent prefix or accept it in addition
to `.  If you still think only ` should be used, I'll commit a patch
immediately.

JL> 2. It uses accented Latin letters à, ò that is inappropriate for
JL> Cyrillic texts.  The only valid way (as I understand according to
JL> Unicode specifications) is to use combining characters.

I think I mentioned this in an earlier post.  Combining characters look
inconsistent and sometimes take up two lines of text in Emacs, so I
thought it would be acceptable to use the accented Latin letters.  If
not, I'm OK with replacing them with the combining versions.  Please
note I'm not an expert on this topic, so I greatly appreciate your
recommendations.

JL> 3. It turns "'" into a prefix key, but it is used to input "ь" according
JL> to the rule ("'" ?ь).

Would it be possible to move ь under the ' prefix?  As I mentioned the '
key is very convenient and ь is not a frequently-needed letter.  It
actually works fine for me as it is (unless I need to type something
like ьо, which is rare), but I see the problem.

JL> 4. «»“„‘‚§№ is too limited set of necessary characters and this set is
JL> not specific to `cyrillic-translit'.  Different styles of quotation
JL> marks are required by typographic rules in other several languages and
JL> scripts besides Cyrillic, and these rules also require using other
JL> symbols like dashes of different lengths, nbsp, 1/2, 1/4, subscripts,
JL> copyright, currency signs, and many more.

In the specific cases I know (I only write in Bulgarian frequently), the
characters I added are most needed.  If you or others want to add more
characters, go ahead or tell me what needs to be added.

JL> So instead of copying the same rules to all input method a better
JL> way is to create a separate common input method with all these
JL> special symbols and to share it with language specific input
JL> methods.

My suggestion was essentially to build a prefix tree for Slavic
languages, since they share enough typographic rules, and to insert it
into every specific input method.  Using a secondary input method works
better so I hope it can happen (if Kenichi Handa's patch is OK).

Thanks again

@ 2008-07-07 21:42         ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-07 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> JL> 1. It uses the acute accent to put the grave accent above letters,
> JL> e.g. ("'a" ?à) ("'o" ?ò).  A correct way to implement this is to use the
> JL> acute accent to put the acute accent above letters, and to use the grave
> JL> accent to put the grave accent above letters, as all Latin input methods
> JL> do, e.g. ("'a" ?á) ("'o" ?ó) ("`a" ?à) ("`o" ?ò).
>
> You are right.  But please note that AFAIK in Cyrillic it's rare to find
> acute accents, so the idea was "accent the next letter" and the ' key is
> much more convenient on modern keyboards.  For Cyrillic in particular,
> it may make sense to use ' as the accent prefix or accept it in addition
> to `.  If you still think only ` should be used, I'll commit a patch
> immediately.

Instead of the grave accent `, most Cyrillic languages (including Bulgarian,
Russian, Ukrainian) use the acute accent ' to mark the stressed vowel.
Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_accent#Stress for more
information.

> JL> 2. It uses accented Latin letters à, ò that is inappropriate for
> JL> Cyrillic texts.  The only valid way (as I understand according to
> JL> Unicode specifications) is to use combining characters.
>
> I think I mentioned this in an earlier post.  Combining characters look
> inconsistent and sometimes take up two lines of text in Emacs, so I
> thought it would be acceptable to use the accented Latin letters.  If
> not, I'm OK with replacing them with the combining versions.  Please
> note I'm not an expert on this topic, so I greatly appreciate your
> recommendations.

If combining characters take two lines, then it is a bug.  I remember
that rendering of combining characters was correct before the Unicode
merge.  If it was possible to do right before the merge, maybe it will be
possible to fix this in current code using the same logic?

> JL> 3. It turns "'" into a prefix key, but it is used to input "ь" according
> JL> to the rule ("'" ?ь).
>
> Would it be possible to move ь under the ' prefix?  As I mentioned the '
> key is very convenient and ь is not a frequently-needed letter.  It
> actually works fine for me as it is (unless I need to type something
> like ьо, which is rare), but I see the problem.

In Bulgarian it is rare, but in Russian and Ukrainian it is very
frequently used letter ;-)

> JL> 4. «»“„‘‚§№ is too limited set of necessary characters and this set is
> JL> not specific to `cyrillic-translit'.  Different styles of quotation
> JL> marks are required by typographic rules in other several languages and
> JL> scripts besides Cyrillic, and these rules also require using other
> JL> symbols like dashes of different lengths, nbsp, 1/2, 1/4, subscripts,
> JL> copyright, currency signs, and many more.
>
> In the specific cases I know (I only write in Bulgarian frequently), the
> characters I added are most needed.  If you or others want to add more
> characters, go ahead or tell me what needs to be added.

Thanks, the characters you added are very needed.  Other needed characters
to add are at least ”’–—•…

And in another message you wrote:

> If this can go into the trunk, I'll be glad to use it (my changes will
> then be unnecessary).  The only caution is that universal sequences are
> not always intuitive; a good example is that I put "/ab" for paragraph
> because that makes sense in Bulgarian ("абзац" means paragraph,
> pronounced "abzatz").  So it would be nice to have a universal input
> method plus custom rules at the intermediate level (e.g. cyrillic-*).

It might be funny but in Russian § is named as a "paragraph sign",
so your mnemonics don't work here.  And "абзац" is used for a different
character, actually the pilcrow.  Please compare:

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C2%B6
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%97%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%BA_%D0%BF%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B3%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%84%D0%B0

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-07 22:05                               ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-07 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: tzz, Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

> Ah!!!  Now I remembered that I wrote a experimental code in
> a little bit tricky way.  I dig out the attached mail.  But,
> I completely forgot about it because there was no response
> at that time.

Hmm, I somehow missed this thread.  I see now your questions:

> What kind of user interface should be provided for
> activating and deactivating multiple input methods?

I think a good interface is to use `completing-read-multiple' in C-\
to read multiple input methods in a way similar to reading multiple
faces in `read-face-name'.

> What to do for C-h C-\?

This could describe all active input methods.

> What to show in the modeline?

All codes of active input methods separated by some character
like a comma.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-08  0:48           ` Kenichi Handa
                             ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-07-08  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: tzz, emacs-devel

In article <87fxql8j7y.fsf@jurta.org>, Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:

> If combining characters take two lines, then it is a bug.  I remember
> that rendering of combining characters was correct before the Unicode
> merge.  If it was possible to do right before the merge, maybe it will be
> possible to fix this in current code using the same logic?

You are right.  I'm going to fix this problem as soon as I
finish the current work.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-08 10:46           ` Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2008-07-08 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: juri; +Cc: tzz, emacs-devel

> It might be funny but in Russian § is named as a "paragraph sign",
> so your mnemonics don't work here.  And "абзац" is used for a
> different character, actually the pilcrow.

Both a possibly of German origin: We also call § the `paragraph sign'
to enumerate laws.  And абзац is definitely a transliteration of the
German word `Absatz', meaning paragraph.

    Werner

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-08 15:37           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-07-08 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 00:42:09 +0300 Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> wrote:

JL> 1. It uses the acute accent to put the grave accent above letters,
JL> e.g. ("'a" ?à) ("'o" ?ò).  A correct way to implement this is to use the
JL> acute accent to put the acute accent above letters, and to use the grave
JL> accent to put the grave accent above letters, as all Latin input methods
JL> do, e.g. ("'a" ?á) ("'o" ?ó) ("`a" ?à) ("`o" ?ò).
>>
>> You are right.  But please note that AFAIK in Cyrillic it's rare to find
>> acute accents, so the idea was "accent the next letter" and the ' key is
>> much more convenient on modern keyboards.  For Cyrillic in particular,
>> it may make sense to use ' as the accent prefix or accept it in addition
>> to `.  If you still think only ` should be used, I'll commit a patch
>> immediately.

JL> Instead of the grave accent `, most Cyrillic languages (including Bulgarian,
JL> Russian, Ukrainian) use the acute accent ' to mark the stressed vowel.
JL> Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_accent#Stress for more
JL> information.

Take a look at the Unicode Cyrillic chart.  Only the grave is available
for ѝ for example.  They all have to be done with combining.

We still need the grave-accented ѝ Ѝ letters, too.  So both ' and ` (or
something similar) will be needed as prefix keys.

JL> 2. It uses accented Latin letters à, ò that is inappropriate for
JL> Cyrillic texts.  The only valid way (as I understand according to
JL> Unicode specifications) is to use combining characters.
>>
>> I think I mentioned this in an earlier post.  Combining characters look
>> inconsistent and sometimes take up two lines of text in Emacs, so I
>> thought it would be acceptable to use the accented Latin letters.  If
>> not, I'm OK with replacing them with the combining versions.  Please
>> note I'm not an expert on this topic, so I greatly appreciate your
>> recommendations.

JL> If combining characters take two lines, then it is a bug.  I remember
JL> that rendering of combining characters was correct before the Unicode
JL> merge.  If it was possible to do right before the merge, maybe it will be
JL> possible to fix this in current code using the same logic?

OK.  Furthermore, I can do

 (insert (compose-chars ?а ?̀))

but if I try the resulting character in quail-define-rules, it's not a
valid character read sequence, being two characters.  I also can't
specify the `compose-chars' function call or a string there.  How do I
specify a combined character in the quail rules?

JL> 3. It turns "'" into a prefix key, but it is used to input "ь" according
JL> to the rule ("'" ?ь).
>>
>> Would it be possible to move ь under the ' prefix?  As I mentioned the '
>> key is very convenient and ь is not a frequently-needed letter.  It
>> actually works fine for me as it is (unless I need to type something
>> like ьо, which is rare), but I see the problem.

JL> In Bulgarian it is rare, but in Russian and Ukrainian it is very
JL> frequently used letter ;-)

Understood, but ' is the most sensible prefix for accents as well.  Can
we have `' generate acute accents  and ` generate grave?  That's a
decent compromise since accented letters are rarely needed.

JL> 4. «»“„‘‚§№ is too limited set of necessary characters and this set is
JL> not specific to `cyrillic-translit'.  Different styles of quotation
JL> marks are required by typographic rules in other several languages and
JL> scripts besides Cyrillic, and these rules also require using other
JL> symbols like dashes of different lengths, nbsp, 1/2, 1/4, subscripts,
JL> copyright, currency signs, and many more.

JL> Thanks, the characters you added are very needed.  Other needed characters
JL> to add are at least ”’–—•…

See at end for proposed mappings.

JL> So instead of copying the same rules to all input method a better
JL> way is to create a separate common input method with all these
JL> special symbols and to share it with language specific input
JL> methods.
>>
>> My suggestion was essentially to build a prefix tree for Slavic
>> languages, since they share enough typographic rules, and to insert it
>> into every specific input method.  Using a secondary input method works
>> better so I hope it can happen (if Kenichi Handa's patch is OK).

JL> And in another message you wrote:

>> If this can go into the trunk, I'll be glad to use it (my changes will
>> then be unnecessary).  The only caution is that universal sequences are
>> not always intuitive; a good example is that I put "/ab" for paragraph
>> because that makes sense in Bulgarian ("абзац" means paragraph,
>> pronounced "abzatz").  So it would be nice to have a universal input
>> method plus custom rules at the intermediate level (e.g. cyrillic-*).

JL> It might be funny but in Russian § is named as a "paragraph sign",
JL> so your mnemonics don't work here.  And "абзац" is used for a different
JL> character, actually the pilcrow.  Please compare:

JL> http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C2%B6
JL> http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%97%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%BA_%D0%BF%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B3%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%84%D0%B0

According to

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D0%B0%D0%B1%D0%B7%D0%B0%D1%86

"абзац" is a synonym for paragraph in Russian (and comes from German, so
I learned something new :).  I don't know what's exactly right here, but
we can certainly accomodate /pa as a paragraph prefix that produces §.
I would prefer to leave /ab as § as well since (AFAIK) the pilcrow is
not as common.  Do you agree?

The goal is convenience for the users, so I hope we don't build a large
prefix tree.  Just the limited repertoire here is already hard to
remember.

How about:

"'  -> ” (compare to "" for “)
/`  -> ’ (compare to /' for ‘)
/-  -> –
/-- -> —
/.  -> • ("big fat dot")
/.. -> … (nice typographically)
/1{2,4,8,16,32,64} -> 1/fraction (the slash moves to the beginning)
/c  -> copyright
/tm -> trademark
/rub-> ruble
/kop-> kopek
/lev-> leva (л AFAIK)
/sto-> stotinki
/e  -> euro
/ce -> cents
/pa -> §

plus existing

,,  -> „
""  -> “
/,  -> ‚
/'  -> ‘
/&  -> §
/ab -> §
/#  -> №
/no -> №
<<  -> «
>>  -> »

Ted

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
                             ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-07-08 15:49           ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2008-07-08 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Juri Linkov, Ted Zlatanov

Juri> Other needed characters to add are at least ”’–—•…

A recent thread on the unicode list informs that the character
U+2026 HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS was added to the UCS to represent a
THREE DOT LEADER (along with U+2024 ONE DOT LEADER and U+2025
TWO DOT LEADER.  That it ended up named ELLIPSIS, according to
that thread, is a mistake.

The strong recomendation is to always use a series of U+002E
FULL STOPs for an ellipsis, possibly with same space between.
U+202F NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE is likely appropriate.

One can argue, then, that there is no need for an input system
to support U+2026.

Therefore, it should either be optional, or shouldn't get in
the way of typing '...'.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-08 17:38             ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2008-07-08 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Ted Zlatanov

Ted> The only caution is that universal sequences are not always
Ted> intuitive; a good example is that I put "/ab" for paragraph because
Ted> that makes sense in Bulgarian ("абзац" means paragraph, pronounced
Ted> "abzatz").

JL> It might be funny but in Russian § is named as a "paragraph sign",
JL> so your mnemonics don't work here.  And "абзац" is used for a
JL> different character, actually the pilcrow.

Ted> "абзац" is a synonym for paragraph in Russian (and comes from
Ted> German,

In English, the pilcrow sign (¶) is more widely know as the paragraph
sign, and is frequently used (especially in legal texts) to specify a
numbered paragraph in a citation, such as in [§4.5¶7] for the seventh
paragraph of the fifth subsection of the fourth section.  Or [§8ii¶C1]
for the first sub-paragraph of the third paragraph of the second sub-
section of the eighth section.

I'd bet, auf Deutsch, der Absatz is used for ¶, hense абзац.

Did the two symbols end up with reversed meanings in different cultures?

-JimC
--

@ 2008-07-08 18:50             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-07-08 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:49:08 -0400 James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> wrote:

Juri> Other needed characters to add are at least ”’–—•…

JC> A recent thread on the unicode list informs that the character
JC> U+2026 HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS was added to the UCS to represent a
JC> THREE DOT LEADER (along with U+2024 ONE DOT LEADER and U+2025
JC> TWO DOT LEADER.  That it ended up named ELLIPSIS, according to
JC> that thread, is a mistake.

JC> The strong recomendation is to always use a series of U+002E
JC> FULL STOPs for an ellipsis, possibly with same space between.
JC> U+202F NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE is likely appropriate.

JC> One can argue, then, that there is no need for an input system
JC> to support U+2026.

JC> Therefore, it should either be optional, or shouldn't get in
JC> the way of typing '...'.

I didn't know about the ELLIPSIS issue, thanks.  My proposed shortcut
would not get in the way of normal typing.

Do I understand correctly, though, that people should just type
... (with or without NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE in between) instead of using
the … character?  Is there value in providing that sequence with the
/.. quail key sequence instead of … in Emacs, or is that unnecessary?

@ 2008-07-08 19:50               ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2008-07-08 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Ted Zlatanov

Ted> I didn't know about the ELLIPSIS issue, thanks.

It was news to me, too.

Ted> My proposed shortcut would not get in the way of normal typing.

Cool.

Ted> Do I understand correctly, though, that people should just type
Ted> ... (with or without NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE in between) instead of
Ted> using the … character?

Essentially.  Most who use a space, though, tend to use an ASCII SPACE
rather than any type of a nonbreaking space.  (I've worked with
publishers who insisted on ". . ." or " . . .".)  And some might prefer
to use U+A0.  But I expect a narrower space looks better, and you /really/
want to avoid linebreaks inside an ellipses. :)

Ted> Is there value in providing that sequence with the /.. quail key
Ted> sequence instead of … in Emacs, or is that unnecessary?

Hmmm.  I doubt anyone would use it over ... or . . ., but I suppose it
would be useful for those who do want to ensure non-breaking spaces.
And . . . does look better than . . . in DejaVu Serif (by way of variable-
pitch-mode)—and not only because ' ' looks different than ' ' since it
(unlike U+202F) is displayed in the nobreak-space face.

So, I’d say yes.

I’m thinking of adding:

<Multi_key> <period> <1> : "․" U2024 # ONE DOT LEADER
<Multi_key> <period> <2> : "‥" U2025 # TWO DOT LEADER
<Multi_key> <period> <3> : "…" ellipsis # HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS

to the UTF-8 Compose.pre files.  The X11 compose framework converts the
compose sequence to a string (rather than a character), so I could also
have <Multi_key> <period> <period> insert ". . ." rather than "…", so I
could make it match the proposed change to Emacs.  I'll have to give
that some thought.

(As another aside; I just remembered that at least some typographers
maintain that the leader glyphs should not be the same as the period
(or full stop) glyphs, but should be a bit lighter/smaller.  Probably
a related issue.)

-JimC
--

@ 2008-07-08 20:26                 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2008-07-08 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

James Cloos wrote:

> I’m thinking of adding:
>
> <Multi_key> <period> <1> : "․" U2024 # ONE DOT LEADER
> <Multi_key> <period> <2> : "‥" U2025 # TWO DOT LEADER
> <Multi_key> <period> <3> : "…" ellipsis # HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS
>
> to the UTF-8 Compose.pre files.  The X11 compose framework converts
> the compose sequence to a string (rather than a character), so I could
> also have <Multi_key> <period> <period> insert ". . ." rather than
> "…", so I could make it match the proposed change to Emacs.  I'll have
> to give that some thought.

Just FYI: HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS has been added to libX11, though I'm not
sure if it's in any released version yet. The key sequence is this:

<Multi_key> <period> <period> : "…" ellipsis # HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS

See the relevant commit in libX11's Git repository:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libX11/commit/?id=b0a8f2ec4ba698841683f8ce389f9d72e6bce53e

(You can click the diffstat for file nls/en_US.UTF-8/Compose.pre .)

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-08 21:47             ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2008-07-08 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Werner LEMBERG; +Cc: juri, tzz, emacs-devel

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

>> It might be funny but in Russian § is named as a "paragraph sign",
>> so your mnemonics don't work here.  And "абзац" is used for a
>> different character, actually the pilcrow.
>
> Both a possibly of German origin: We also call § the `paragraph sign'
> to enumerate laws.

No, we don't.  We call it "Paragraph" which can be translated to
"paragraph sign".

> And абзац is definitely a transliteration of the German word `Absatz',
> meaning paragraph.

Yup.  Law navigation is usually done by "Paragraph/Absatz", typically
written as "§23, Abs. 3" IIRC.  ¶ is not used for navigation, merely for
printer instructions.  It denotes a paragraph (namely the end of an
"Absatz"), not a "Paragraph".

The problem in German is that a "Paragraph" really is sort of a numbered
section rather than just a paragraph.

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-08 22:54             ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-08 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> JL> Instead of the grave accent `, most Cyrillic languages (including Bulgarian,
> JL> Russian, Ukrainian) use the acute accent ' to mark the stressed vowel.
> JL> Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_accent#Stress for more
> JL> information.
>
> Take a look at the Unicode Cyrillic chart.  Only the grave is available
> for ѝ for example.  They all have to be done with combining.
>
> We still need the grave-accented ѝ Ѝ letters, too.  So both ' and ` (or
> something similar) will be needed as prefix keys.

Yes, I agree.  We need both ` and '.  For some letters the grave accent is
part of the Unicode character (Ѝ, Ѐ), for some letters the acute accent
is part of the Unicode character (Ѓ, Ќ), and for vowels the acute accent is
used to mark the primary stress, and the grave accent is used to mark the
secondary stress.

> JL> If combining characters take two lines, then it is a bug.  I remember
> JL> that rendering of combining characters was correct before the Unicode
> JL> merge.  If it was possible to do right before the merge, maybe it will be
> JL> possible to fix this in current code using the same logic?
>
> OK.  Furthermore, I can do
>
>  (insert (compose-chars ?а ?̀))
>
> but if I try the resulting character in quail-define-rules, it's not a
> valid character read sequence, being two characters.  I also can't
> specify the `compose-chars' function call or a string there.  How do I
> specify a combined character in the quail rules?

Maybe something like this should work ("a`" "а̀") ("a'" "а́").

> JL> In Bulgarian it is rare, but in Russian and Ukrainian it is very
> JL> frequently used letter ;-)
>
> Understood, but ' is the most sensible prefix for accents as well.

I think we should use ` and ' as the postfix character, like
latin-postfix vs latin-prefix.

> Can we have `' generate acute accents and ` generate grave?
> That's a decent compromise since accented letters are rarely needed.

Since ` and ' are more important for accented letters, we should
find an alternative key for ь.

> According to
>
> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D0%B0%D0%B1%D0%B7%D0%B0%D1%86
>
> "абзац" is a synonym for paragraph in Russian (and comes from German, so
> I learned something new :).  I don't know what's exactly right here, but
> we can certainly accomodate /pa as a paragraph prefix that produces §.
> I would prefer to leave /ab as § as well since (AFAIK) the pilcrow is
> not as common.  Do you agree?

Good, but I wonder if we should provide this kind of mnemonics for all
languages (e.g. "/se" for English since it is the section sign :-)

> The goal is convenience for the users, so I hope we don't build a large
> prefix tree.  Just the limited repertoire here is already hard to
> remember.

I now noticed that I can't type a pair of double quotes in cyrillic-translit
that I often do.  Maybe this rule should use the slash prefix key /""  -> “ ?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-09 16:02               ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-07-09 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 01:54:35 +0300 Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> wrote:

>> I can do
>>
>> (insert (compose-chars ?а ?̀))
>>
>> but if I try the resulting character in quail-define-rules, it's not a
>> valid character read sequence, being two characters.  I also can't
>> specify the `compose-chars' function call or a string there.  How do I
>> specify a combined character in the quail rules?

JL> Maybe something like this should work ("a`" "а̀") ("a'" "а́").

It doesn't, according to the docs and it's the first thing I tried :)

JL> I think we should use ` and ' as the postfix character, like
JL> latin-postfix vs latin-prefix.

OK, I changed things accordingly and will commit to CVS when the problem
above with doing combining characters in Quail is resolved.

>> Can we have `' generate acute accents and ` generate grave?
>> That's a decent compromise since accented letters are rarely needed.

JL> Since ` and ' are more important for accented letters, we should
JL> find an alternative key for ь.

I often see it written as q or u in manually transliterated text.  Maybe
// or /q or /u would work?  The corresponding /? /Q /U would uppercase
it.

>> The goal is convenience for the users, so I hope we don't build a large
>> prefix tree.  Just the limited repertoire here is already hard to
>> remember.

JL> I now noticed that I can't type a pair of double quotes in cyrillic-translit
JL> that I often do.  Maybe this rule should use the slash prefix key /""  -> “ ?

OK, it's more consistent that way.  Let's eliminate all but << and >> as
non-prefixed special characters for consistency (those two are too
convenient IMO).  So we'd have:

/-  -> –
/-- -> —
/.  -> • ("big fat dot")
/.. -> … (or whatever is appropriate for this one)
/1{2,4,8,16,32,64} -> 1/fraction (the slash moves to the beginning)
/c  -> copyright
/tm -> trademark
/rub-> ruble
/kop-> kopek
/lev-> leva (л AFAIK)
/sto-> stotinki (с AFAIK)
/e  -> euro
/ce -> cents
/pa -> §
/`` -> ” (high 9 double quote)
/`  -> ’ (high 9 single quote)
/,  -> ‚ (low 9 single quote)
/,, -> „ (low 9 double quote)
/'  -> ‘ (high 6 single quote)
/'' -> “ (high 6 double quote)
/&  -> §
/ab -> §
/#  -> №
/no -> №
<<  -> «

@ 2008-07-09 18:02                 ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2008-07-09 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ted> /.. -> … (or whatever is appropriate for this one)

After some further discussions and research, it is looking like the
single character is better after all.  Irregardless of the character's
provenance, it is what users expect.

-JimC
--

@ 2008-07-09 18:48                 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-07-09 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 11:02:29 -0500 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

TZ> On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 01:54:35 +0300 Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> wrote:
>>> I can do
>>>
>>> (insert (compose-chars ?а ?̀))
>>>
>>> but if I try the resulting character in quail-define-rules, it's not a
>>> valid character read sequence, being two characters.  I also can't
>>> specify the `compose-chars' function call or a string there.  How do I
>>> specify a combined character in the quail rules?

JL> Maybe something like this should work ("a`" "а̀") ("a'" "а́").

TZ> It doesn't, according to the docs and it's the first thing I tried :)

JL> I think we should use ` and ' as the postfix character, like
JL> latin-postfix vs latin-prefix.

TZ> OK, I changed things accordingly and will commit to CVS when the problem
TZ> above with doing combining characters in Quail is resolved.

This is the only thing stopping me.  I adjusted the accents and added
some more special characters; here's the special characters with some
comments.

 ("/c" ?©)
 ("/tm" ?®) ;; I couldn't find a TM glyph in Unicode
 ("/rub" ?R) ;; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_ruble, new glyph may be under development
 ("/kop" ?к) ;; not sure
 ("/lev"  ?л)
 ("/sto" ?с)
 ("/e"   ?€)
 ("/ce"  ?¢) ;; is this the right glyph for Euro cents?  I think so.

 ;; fractions (non-combined)
 ("/78" ?⅞)
 ("/58" ?⅝)
 ("/38" ?⅜)
 ("/18" ?⅛)
 ("/56" ?⅚)
 ("/16" ?⅙)
 ("/45" ?⅘)
 ("/35" ?⅗)
 ("/25" ?⅖)
 ("/15" ?⅕)
 ("/23" ?⅔)
 ("/13" ?⅓)
 ("/34" ?¾)
 ("/12" ?½)
 ("/14" ?¼)
 ;; we'll have combined fractions later I guess

 ;; Roman numerals, commonly used for months
 ("/I" ?Ⅰ)
 ("/II" ?Ⅱ)
 ("/III" ?Ⅲ)
 ("/IV" ?Ⅳ)
 ("/V" ?Ⅴ)
 ("/VI" ?Ⅵ)
 ("/VII" ?Ⅶ)
 ("/VIII" ?Ⅷ)
 ("/IX" ?Ⅸ)
 ("/X" ?Ⅹ)
 ("/XI" ?Ⅺ)
 ("/XII" ?Ⅻ)

 ("/-"  ?–)
 ("/--" ?—)
 ("/." ?•)
 ("/.." ?…)
 ("/``" ?”)
 ("/`" ?’)
 ("/,," ?„)
 ("/''" ?“)
 ("/," ?‚)
 ("/'" ?‘)

 ("/&" ?§)
 ("/ab" ?§) 				; _аб_зац
 ("/pa" ?§) 				; _pa_ragraph
 ("/#" ?№)
 ("/no" ?№)				; _но_мер
 ("<<" ?«)
 (">>" ?»)

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-09 18:49                   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-07-09 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 14:02:42 -0400 James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> wrote:

Ted> /.. -> … (or whatever is appropriate for this one)

JC> After some further discussions and research, it is looking like the
JC> single character is better after all.  Irregardless of the character's
JC> provenance, it is what users expect.

OK, I'll leave it as it was.

@ 2008-07-09 19:21                 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-09 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> JL> Since ` and ' are more important for accented letters, we should
> JL> find an alternative key for ь.
>
> I often see it written as q or u in manually transliterated text.  Maybe
> // or /q or /u would work?  The corresponding /? /Q /U would uppercase it.

I've never seen it written as q or u.  And indeed there is no such rule
on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translit or on this page in other
languages (Bulgarian, Russian) where q is used for ю, and q for я.
One possible letter for ь is x.  I guess it is from jcuken-only
keyboards, but since it is already taken for x in cyrillic-translit,
maybe we should replace the rule ("x" ?х) with ("x" ?ь)?

> JL> I now noticed that I can't type a pair of double quotes in cyrillic-translit
> JL> that I often do.  Maybe this rule should use the slash prefix key /""  -> “ ?
>
> OK, it's more consistent that way.  Let's eliminate all but << and >> as
> non-prefixed special characters for consistency (those two are too
> convenient IMO).  So we'd have:

I like your current set of rules, they are easy to remember and input.
But I have doubts about << and >> since they are inconsistent with
other sequences with the leading slash.

Since these rules will be needed in parallel with other input methods,
I suggest you to create two separate input methods: one with the name
like `typographic' (if you are going to provide only typographic
characters) for rules without the leading slash and `typographic-pre'
for rules with the leading slash.  And with the code Handa-san provided
it will be possible to activate multiple input methods.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-09 19:33                   ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-09 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> TZ> OK, I changed things accordingly and will commit to CVS when the problem
> TZ> above with doing combining characters in Quail is resolved.
>
> This is the only thing stopping me.  I adjusted the accents and added
> some more special characters; here's the special characters with some
> comments.
>
>  ("/c" ?©)
>  ("/tm" ?®) ;; I couldn't find a TM glyph in Unicode

It is ?\u2122.

>  ("/rub" ?R) ;; see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_ruble,
>  new glyph may be under development

There is no Unicode character yet, but since a new glyph is gaining
popularity, we can expect a codepoint for it in next Unicode versions
(BTW, a new glyph is very similar to the glyph I designed many years ago).

And the Hryvnia sign was already added to Unicode in 2004, it is ?\u20B4.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E2%82%B4

>  ("/kop" ?к) ;; not sure

No Unicode character, and never will be I guess.

>  ("/lev"  ?л)
>  ("/sto" ?с)

Is it more correct to write with a period as "л." and "с.", or even "лв."?

>  ("/e"   ?€)
>  ("/ce"  ?¢) ;; is this the right glyph for Euro cents?  I think so.

Yes, it is.

>  ;; fractions (non-combined)
>  ("/78" ?⅞)
>  ("/58" ?⅝)
>  ("/38" ?⅜)
>  ("/18" ?⅛)
>  ("/56" ?⅚)
>  ("/16" ?⅙)
>  ("/45" ?⅘)
>  ("/35" ?⅗)
>  ("/25" ?⅖)
>  ("/15" ?⅕)
>  ("/23" ?⅔)
>  ("/13" ?⅓)
>  ("/34" ?¾)
>  ("/12" ?½)
>  ("/14" ?¼)
>  ;; we'll have combined fractions later I guess
>
>  ;; Roman numerals, commonly used for months

and sometimes for chapter/section numbers

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-09 19:51                   ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-09 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Cloos; +Cc: Ted Zlatanov, emacs-devel

> Ted> /.. -> … (or whatever is appropriate for this one)
>
> After some further discussions and research, it is looking like the
> single character is better after all.  Irregardless of the character's
> provenance, it is what users expect.

Yes, this is natural to expect a Unicode input method producing a
single Unicode character.  Then how about the following rules:

/.	"․" U2024 # ONE DOT LEADER
/..	"‥" U2025 # TWO DOT LEADER

@ 2008-07-09 22:14                     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-07-09 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 22:33:38 +0300 Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> wrote:

TZ> OK, I changed things accordingly and will commit to CVS when the problem
TZ> above with doing combining characters in Quail is resolved.
>>
>> This is the only thing stopping me.  I adjusted the accents and added
>> some more special characters; here's the special characters with some
>> comments.
>>
>> ("/c" ?©)
>> ("/tm" ?®) ;; I couldn't find a TM glyph in Unicode

JL> It is ?\u2122.

JL> It is ?\u2122.

OK, I changed to:

 ("/tm" ?™)
 ("/reg" ?®)

>> ("/kop" ?к) ;; not sure

JL> No Unicode character, and never will be I guess.

Probably not worth the trouble then.  Same for rubles, leva, and
stotinki, their symbols are currently trivial so I'll remove them.

The situation is different for Roman numerals which have distinct code
points from the corresponding ASCII characters.  I'm not including
lowercase versions but I could (downcase-region is so nice, this took 2
seconds):

 ("/i" ?ⅰ)
 ("/ii" ?ⅱ)
 ("/iii" ?ⅲ)
 ("/iv" ?ⅳ)
 ("/v" ?ⅴ)
 ("/vi" ?ⅵ)
 ("/vii" ?ⅶ)
 ("/viii" ?ⅷ)
 ("/ix" ?ⅸ)
 ("/x" ?ⅹ)
 ("/xi" ?ⅺ)
 ("/xii" ?ⅻ)

I don't recall them being used for anything, but then again it's been a
while since I wrote in Bulgarian every day, and Russian and others may
want them.

>> I often see it written as q or u in manually transliterated text.  Maybe
>> // or /q or /u would work?  The corresponding /? /Q /U would uppercase it.

JL> I've never seen it written as q or u.  And indeed there is no such rule
JL> on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translit or on this page in other
JL> languages (Bulgarian, Russian) where q is used for ю, and q for я.

It's ad hoc I guess.  No matter.

JL> One possible letter for ь is x.  I guess it is from jcuken-only
JL> keyboards, but since it is already taken for x in cyrillic-translit,
JL> maybe we should replace the rule ("x" ?х) with ("x" ?ь)?

OK, ditto for X -> Ь.  We'll be lynched, surely.

JL> I like your current set of rules, they are easy to remember and input.
JL> But I have doubts about << and >> since they are inconsistent with
JL> other sequences with the leading slash.

Yes, but it's very rare to need << or >> in any other context.  Let's
try it, I'm sure only shell users will complain :)  At worst you have to
do

C-\ Shift-, Shift-, C-\

to get the regular << meaning.  Compared to

/ Shift-, Shift-,
/ Shift-. Shift-.

all the time while typing, I think it's better.

JL> Since these rules will be needed in parallel with other input methods,
JL> I suggest you to create two separate input methods: one with the name
JL> like `typographic' (if you are going to provide only typographic
JL> characters) for rules without the leading slash and `typographic-pre'
JL> for rules with the leading slash.  And with the code Handa-san provided
JL> it will be possible to activate multiple input methods.

When that code is in the CVS trunk I can do that, but I'm not convinced
having two methods (with/without prefix) would be any better than a
single common one.  A single method means less to remember, less to
confuse the user.

JL> Then how about the following rules:

JL> /.	"․" U2024 # ONE DOT LEADER
JL> /..	"‥" U2025 # TWO DOT LEADER
JL> /...	"…" ellipsis # HORIZONTAL ELLIPSIS

Added also.

@ 2008-07-09 23:52                       ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-09 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> The situation is different for Roman numerals which have distinct code
> points from the corresponding ASCII characters.  I'm not including
> lowercase versions but I could (downcase-region is so nice, this took 2
> seconds):
>
>  ("/i" ?ⅰ)
>  ("/ii" ?ⅱ)
>  ("/iii" ?ⅲ)
>  ("/iv" ?ⅳ)
>  ("/v" ?ⅴ)
>  ("/vi" ?ⅵ)
>  ("/vii" ?ⅶ)
>  ("/viii" ?ⅷ)
>  ("/ix" ?ⅸ)
>  ("/x" ?ⅹ)
>  ("/xi" ?ⅺ)
>  ("/xii" ?ⅻ)
>
> I don't recall them being used for anything, but then again it's been a
> while since I wrote in Bulgarian every day, and Russian and others may
> want them.

You could include lowercase versions since they are sometimes used to
numerate subsections.  But please be careful to not create conflicts
with the existing rules in cyrillic-translit like ("/i" ?і) and ("/I" ?І)
where І is CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER BYELORUSSIAN-UKRAINIAN I.

> JL> One possible letter for ь is x.  I guess it is from jcuken-only
> JL> keyboards, but since it is already taken for x in cyrillic-translit,
> JL> maybe we should replace the rule ("x" ?х) with ("x" ?ь)?
>
> OK, ditto for X -> Ь.  We'll be lynched, surely.

This is why I suggest you to move out most new rules to a separate
input method, or at least reduce the likelihood of possible annoyance.

> JL> I like your current set of rules, they are easy to remember and input.
> JL> But I have doubts about << and >> since they are inconsistent with
> JL> other sequences with the leading slash.
>
> Yes, but it's very rare to need << or >> in any other context.  Let's
> try it, I'm sure only shell users will complain :)  At worst you have to
> do
>
> C-\ Shift-, Shift-, C-\
>
> to get the regular << meaning.  Compared to
>
> / Shift-, Shift-,
> / Shift-. Shift-.
>
> all the time while typing, I think it's better.

I'm not convinced of the need of creating an exception for these two
characters.  Such exceptions do more harm than good, e.g. the user has
to remember which quotes require the prefix slash and which don't.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-10  0:09                           ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-10  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> and ~5000 other rules for many Unicode characters.
>>
>> Do you know a better method to input Unicode characters?
>
> rfc1345 isn't too bad.  It also uses mnemonics to a degree (though they
> are often kind of weird), and has pretty good coverage.

I noticed rfc1345 is already implemented in leim/quail/rfc1345.el.

BTW, this file is detected as binary.  I think it's better to replace
non-printable control characters with equivalent text-only notations:

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/x-patch, Size: 433 bytes --]

Index: leim/quail/rfc1345.el
RCS file: /sources/emacs/emacs/leim/quail/rfc1345.el,v
retrieving revision 1.11
diff -u -a -r1.11 rfc1345.el
--- leim/quail/rfc1345.el	7 May 2008 03:37:06 -0000	1.11
+++ leim/quail/rfc1345.el	10 Jul 2008 00:08:43 -0000
@@ -37,38 +37,38 @@

 (quail-define-rules
 ;; There doesn't seem to be any point in including ASCII.
-;;  ("&NU" ?\

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-10  0:27                           ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-10  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> and ~5000 other rules for many Unicode characters.
>>
>> Do you know a better method to input Unicode characters?
>
> rfc1345 isn't too bad.  It also uses mnemonics to a degree (though they
> are often kind of weird), and has pretty good coverage.

I see rfc1345 is criticized and deprecated in favor of a new standard
REPERTOIREMAP from ISO/IEC FCD 14652.  Its symbolic names are quite
widespread already.  Maybe we should implement a new input method based
on its symbolic names too?  I can't find an existing Emacs implementation.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-10  0:37                             ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-07-10  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: emacs-devel, miles

In article <87y74a38hd.fsf@jurta.org>, Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:

> I noticed rfc1345 is already implemented in leim/quail/rfc1345.el.

> BTW, this file is detected as binary.

??? Really?  As it has coding tag utf-8, it should be read
as utf-8.  If not, there's a bug, but I can't reproduce it.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-10  0:52                               ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-10  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel, miles

>> I noticed rfc1345 is already implemented in leim/quail/rfc1345.el.
>
>> BTW, this file is detected as binary.
>
> ??? Really?  As it has coding tag utf-8, it should be read
> as utf-8.  If not, there's a bug, but I can't reproduce it.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit: it is detected as binary
not by Emacs, but by external utilities.  For example, I once missed
rfc1345.el when I searched in the quail directory for UTF-8 input methods
using grep because it didn't display the match for rfc1345.el treated as
binary, and also I had to add the `-a' option to the cvs diff command line
to treat is as non-binary when creating a patch.  So control characters
in source files cause too much trouble.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-10  1:15                             ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-07-10  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: emacs-devel, Miles Bader

> I think it's better to replace non-printable control characters with
> equivalent text-only notations:

Agreed,

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-10  1:16                             ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-07-10  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: emacs-devel

Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:
>> rfc1345 isn't too bad.  It also uses mnemonics to a degree (though they
>> are often kind of weird), and has pretty good coverage.
>
> I see rfc1345 is criticized and deprecated in favor of a new standard
> REPERTOIREMAP from ISO/IEC FCD 14652.

"Criticized and deprecated" where?  Is there a new rfc?

-Miles

--
Barometer, n. An ingenious instrument which indicates what kind of weather we
are having.

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-10  1:44                                 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-07-10  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: miles, emacs-devel

In article <87fxqiy2ja.fsf@jurta.org>, Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:

>>> I noticed rfc1345 is already implemented in leim/quail/rfc1345.el.
> >
>>> BTW, this file is detected as binary.
> >
> > ??? Really?  As it has coding tag utf-8, it should be read
> > as utf-8.  If not, there's a bug, but I can't reproduce it.

> Sorry, I should have been more explicit: it is detected as binary
> not by Emacs, but by external utilities.

Ah, I see.

> For example, I once missed
> rfc1345.el when I searched in the quail directory for UTF-8 input methods
> using grep because it didn't display the match for rfc1345.el treated as
> binary, and also I had to add the `-a' option to the cvs diff command line
> to treat is as non-binary when creating a patch.  So control characters
> in source files cause too much trouble.

Agreed.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-10 12:47                         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-07-10 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 02:52:57 +0300 Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> wrote:

JL> You could include lowercase versions since they are sometimes used to
JL> numerate subsections.  But please be careful to not create conflicts
JL> with the existing rules in cyrillic-translit like ("/i" ?і) and ("/I" ?І)
JL> where І is CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER BYELORUSSIAN-UKRAINIAN I.

How about

 ;; Roman numerals, commonly used for months and section/subsection numbers
 ("/RI" ?Ⅰ)
 ("/RII" ?Ⅱ)
 ("/RIII" ?Ⅲ)
 ("/RIV" ?Ⅳ)
 ("/RV" ?Ⅴ)
 ("/RVI" ?Ⅵ)
 ("/RVII" ?Ⅶ)
 ("/RVIII" ?Ⅷ)
 ("/RIX" ?Ⅸ)
 ("/RX" ?Ⅹ)
 ("/RXI" ?Ⅺ)
 ("/RXII" ?Ⅻ)

 ("/ri" ?ⅰ)
 ("/rii" ?ⅱ)
 ("/riii" ?ⅲ)
 ("/riv" ?ⅳ)
 ("/rv" ?ⅴ)
 ("/rvi" ?ⅵ)
 ("/rvii" ?ⅶ)
 ("/rviii" ?ⅷ)
 ("/rix" ?ⅸ)
 ("/rx" ?ⅹ)
 ("/rxi" ?ⅺ)
 ("/rxii" ?ⅻ)

JL> One possible letter for ь is x.  I guess it is from jcuken-only
JL> keyboards, but since it is already taken for x in cyrillic-translit,
JL> maybe we should replace the rule ("x" ?х) with ("x" ?ь)?
>>
>> OK, ditto for X -> Ь.  We'll be lynched, surely.

JL> This is why I suggest you to move out most new rules to a separate
JL> input method, or at least reduce the likelihood of possible annoyance.

Users still need to use the method at some point.  Delaying the
annoyance until then doesn't make it any less of a problem--we're still
interfering with x/X in the secondary method.  I'll make the change in
the core method for now, and let's see if it's a problem.

JL> I like your current set of rules, they are easy to remember and input.
JL> But I have doubts about << and >> since they are inconsistent with
JL> other sequences with the leading slash.
JL> I'm not convinced of the need of creating an exception for these two
JL> characters.  Such exceptions do more harm than good, e.g. the user has
JL> to remember which quotes require the prefix slash and which don't.

OK, I've made it /<< and />> for those two.

@ 2008-07-10 18:43                               ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-10 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> rfc1345 isn't too bad.  It also uses mnemonics to a degree (though they
>>> are often kind of weird), and has pretty good coverage.
>>
>> I see rfc1345 is criticized and deprecated in favor of a new standard
>> REPERTOIREMAP from ISO/IEC FCD 14652.
>
> "Criticized and deprecated" where?  Is there a new rfc?

As I see, there is no new rfc.  And rfc1345 is criticized because it was
published without review, contains errors, and is inconsistent with the
Unicode data.  Without these drawbacks it would be a good input method.
There is a relevant thread:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.general/26127

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-10 18:45                           ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-10 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> JL> You could include lowercase versions since they are sometimes used to
> JL> numerate subsections.  But please be careful to not create conflicts
> JL> with the existing rules in cyrillic-translit like ("/i" ?і) and ("/I" ?І)
> JL> where І is CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER BYELORUSSIAN-UKRAINIAN I.
>
> How about
>
>  ;; Roman numerals, commonly used for months and section/subsection numbers
>  ("/RI" ?Ⅰ)
>  ("/RII" ?Ⅱ)
>  ("/RIII" ?Ⅲ)
>  ("/RIV" ?Ⅳ)
>  ("/RV" ?Ⅴ)
>  ("/RVI" ?Ⅵ)
>  ("/RVII" ?Ⅶ)
>  ("/RVIII" ?Ⅷ)
>  ("/RIX" ?Ⅸ)
>  ("/RX" ?Ⅹ)
>  ("/RXI" ?Ⅺ)
>  ("/RXII" ?Ⅻ)
>
>  ("/ri" ?ⅰ)
>  ("/rii" ?ⅱ)
>  ("/riii" ?ⅲ)
>  ("/riv" ?ⅳ)
>  ("/rv" ?ⅴ)
>  ("/rvi" ?ⅵ)
>  ("/rvii" ?ⅶ)
>  ("/rviii" ?ⅷ)
>  ("/rix" ?ⅸ)
>  ("/rx" ?ⅹ)
>  ("/rxi" ?ⅺ)
>  ("/rxii" ?ⅻ)

This looks better.

> JL> One possible letter for ь is x.  I guess it is from jcuken-only
> JL> keyboards, but since it is already taken for x in cyrillic-translit,
> JL> maybe we should replace the rule ("x" ?х) with ("x" ?ь)?
>>>
>>> OK, ditto for X -> Ь.  We'll be lynched, surely.
>
> JL> This is why I suggest you to move out most new rules to a separate
> JL> input method, or at least reduce the likelihood of possible annoyance.
>
> Users still need to use the method at some point.  Delaying the
> annoyance until then doesn't make it any less of a problem--we're still
> interfering with x/X in the secondary method.  I'll make the change in
> the core method for now, and let's see if it's a problem.

Ok.  And what about combining characters?  Is it possible to insert them
using input-method rules?

@ 2008-07-10 19:10                             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-07-10 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 21:45:46 +0300 Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> wrote:

JL> Ok.  And what about combining characters?  Is it possible to insert them
JL> using input-method rules?

I figured out how to do it (with a vector, e.g. ["full string"] is the
mapping).

All the changes we've discussed are now in cyrillic-translit.  When
Handa-san commits his multiple input method support, I'll split rules
into multiple methods as we discussed.

@ 2008-07-10 19:52                               ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-10 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I figured out how to do it (with a vector, e.g. ["full string"] is the
> mapping).
>
> All the changes we've discussed are now in cyrillic-translit.

Thanks!  I have a few comments:

1. Could you also add rules to input vowels with the combining acute
accent like you did for the combining grave accent, i.e. could you add
("a'" ["а́"]) and other vowels with the primary stress?

2. There are now two conflicting rules: ("E`" ["Ѐ"]) and ("E`" ?Э).

3. I just realized that we could leave the rule ("'" ?ь), because
it has no conflict with ("a'" ["а́"]).  The letter `ь' is never used
after a vowel.

4. Please swap the mappings between ("/``" ?”) and ("/''" ?“),
and also between ("/'" ?‘) and ("/`" ?’), because usually backquotes
are used for left quotation marks, and apostrophes are used for right
quotation marks.

5. Something is wrong with encoding of small roman numeral 1-10.
Maybe we should recode cyrillic.el from iso-2022-7bit to utf-8
to avoid these problems?

> When Handa-san commits his multiple input method support, I'll split
> rules into multiple methods as we discussed.

I tried the patch that Handa-san submitted in 2007, and it works well
(with only one change of removing unnecessary `nreverse').  So I think
we should now design a good UI to use multiple input method support.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-10 20:40                                 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-07-10 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 22:52:11 +0300 Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> wrote:

JL> 1. Could you also add rules to input vowels with the combining acute
JL> accent like you did for the combining grave accent, i.e. could you add
JL> ("a'" ["а́"]) and other vowels with the primary stress?

Done.  I had to remove some conflicting rules.

Moved Э to @@ (since э was on @ already).

JL> 3. I just realized that we could leave the rule ("'" ?ь), because
JL> it has no conflict with ("a'" ["а́"]).  The letter `ь' is never used
JL> after a vowel.

Done, and '' is also back to Ь.  x/X again input Cyrillic х/Х.

JL> 4. Please swap the mappings between ("/``" ?”) and ("/''" ?“),
JL> and also between ("/'" ?‘) and ("/`" ?’), because usually backquotes
JL> are used for left quotation marks, and apostrophes are used for right
JL> quotation marks.

OK.  Please check my work, I did my best to proofread the rules.

JL> 5. Something is wrong with encoding of small roman numeral 1-10.
JL> Maybe we should recode cyrillic.el from iso-2022-7bit to utf-8
JL> to avoid these problems?

Looks OK to me, but do whatever you think is necessary.

>> When Handa-san commits his multiple input method support, I'll split
>> rules into multiple methods as we discussed.

JL> I tried the patch that Handa-san submitted in 2007, and it works well
JL> (with only one change of removing unnecessary `nreverse').  So I think
JL> we should now design a good UI to use multiple input method support.

I think the variable default-input-method should accept a list with
implied priority (first is highest) or a function (returning a list or a
string), and DTRT.

C-u C-\ should only enable the first method in the list.
C-u 2 C-\ should enable the first two methods.
C-\ enables all the methods in the chain.

All of these should collapse to the current C-\ behavior if
default-input-method is a string or a function returning a string.

@ 2008-07-10 22:01                                   ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-10 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> JL> 1. Could you also add rules to input vowels with the combining acute
> JL> accent like you did for the combining grave accent, i.e. could you add
> JL> ("a'" ["а́"]) and other vowels with the primary stress?
>
> Done.  I had to remove some conflicting rules.

Thanks, this is close to perfect now.  However, I noticed yet another
conflicting rule: ("u'" ?ў) ("U'" ?Ў).  Since it is У with breve,
we could use the same key tilde ~ as used by Latin input methods to
input Latin letters with breve: ("u~" ?ў) ("U~" ?Ў).

> JL> 2. There are now two conflicting rules: ("E`" ["Ѐ"]) and ("E`" ?Э).
>
> Moved Э to @@ (since э was on @ already).

It is too bad to drop ("e'" ?э) since it is a frequently used letter.
I propose to add a rule ("e\\" ?э) because `э' is named REVERSED E,
and REVERSE SOLIDUS `\' has similar mnemonics.

> JL> 3. I just realized that we could leave the rule ("'" ?ь), because
> JL> it has no conflict with ("a'" ["а́"]).  The letter `ь' is never used
> JL> after a vowel.
>
> Done, and '' is also back to Ь.  x/X again input Cyrillic х/Х.

Thanks, it is important to keep mappings backward-compatible if possible.

> JL> 4. Please swap the mappings between ("/``" ?”) and ("/''" ?“),
> JL> and also between ("/'" ?‘) and ("/`" ?’), because usually backquotes
> JL> are used for left quotation marks, and apostrophes are used for right
> JL> quotation marks.
>
> OK.  Please check my work, I did my best to proofread the rules.

Everything seems correct now.

> JL> I tried the patch that Handa-san submitted in 2007, and it works well
> JL> (with only one change of removing unnecessary `nreverse').  So I think
> JL> we should now design a good UI to use multiple input method support.
>
> I think the variable default-input-method should accept a list with
> implied priority (first is highest) or a function (returning a list or a
> string), and DTRT.

I agree that this is the most reasonable way to implement this feature.
I only have doubts about backward-compatibility if it might break some
existing code.

> C-u C-\ should only enable the first method in the list.
> C-u 2 C-\ should enable the first two methods.
> C-\ enables all the methods in the chain.

I think there is no need in such complexity since in the minibuffer
after typing C-\ you can select multiple input methods.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-10 22:09                                 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-07-10 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: Ted Zlatanov, emacs-devel

> 5. Something is wrong with encoding of small roman numeral 1-10.
> Maybe we should recode cyrillic.el from iso-2022-7bit to utf-8
> to avoid these problems?

In general Elisp files should now use utf-8 except for the rare rare
cases where this is not an option.

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-10 22:54                                   ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-10 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Ted Zlatanov, emacs-devel

>> 5. Something is wrong with encoding of small roman numeral 1-10.
>> Maybe we should recode cyrillic.el from iso-2022-7bit to utf-8
>> to avoid these problems?
>
> In general Elisp files should now use utf-8 except for the rare rare
> cases where this is not an option.

Then it also makes sense to convert HELLO because the section
"Unicode charset" in the beginning of HELLO is now too confusing
given that Unicode is now the internal coding.

However, when I tried to convert it to UTF-8, it choked on some
characters.  Is it the rare case where this is not an option?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-11  1:26                                     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-07-11  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: Ted Zlatanov, emacs-devel

> Then it also makes sense to convert HELLO because the section
> "Unicode charset" in the beginning of HELLO is now too confusing
> given that Unicode is now the internal coding.

> However, when I tried to convert it to UTF-8, it choked on some
> characters.  Is it the rare case where this is not an option?

Could very well be, indeed,

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-11  2:08                                     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-07-11  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: tzz, monnier, emacs-devel

In article <87wsjte4fh.fsf@jurta.org>, Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:

> Then it also makes sense to convert HELLO because the section
> "Unicode charset" in the beginning of HELLO is now too confusing
> given that Unicode is now the internal coding.

> However, when I tried to convert it to UTF-8, it choked on some
> characters.  Is it the rare case where this is not an option?

That's because the Arabic chars in Non-ASCII examples was in
`arabic-1-column' charset (this charset is kept just for
backward compatibility).  I changed them to iso-8859-6
characters (of course they are unified with Unicode).

But, please don't change the encoding.  As the file is in
iso-2022-7bit, when Emacs decodes it, `charset' text
properties (e.g. japanese-jisx0208 to Japanese charactes,
chinese-gb2312 to Chinese charaters) are added.  So, the
font-selection works better.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-11  2:52                                 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-07-11  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: emacs-devel

Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:
> As I see, there is no new rfc.  And rfc1345 is criticized because it was
> published without review, contains errors, and is inconsistent with the
> Unicode data.  Without these drawbacks it would be a good input method.
> There is a relevant thread:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.general/26127

I read though that thread, and it comes to no real conclusion.  rfc1345
clearly has flaws, but it actually _does_ have some practical utility.
This was pointed out (repeatedly) in that thread, but the objectors
seemed unable to suggest a practical alternative (and the most vocal
objectors seemed rather clueless to tell the truth).

Unless there is a better replacement in-kind, there seems no point to
removing the rfc1345 input method.

-Miles

--
80% of success is just showing up.  --Woody Allen

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-12 20:51                                     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-12 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I noticed yet another conflicting rule: ("u'" ?ў) ("U'" ?Ў).  Since it
> is У with breve, we could use the same key tilde ~ as used by Latin
> input methods to input Latin letters with breve: ("u~" ?ў) ("U~" ?Ў).

and

> It is too bad to drop ("e'" ?э) since it is a frequently used letter.
> I propose to add a rule ("e\\" ?э) because `э' is named REVERSED E,
> and REVERSE SOLIDUS `\' has similar mnemonics.

I fixed these remaining problems.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-13  5:11                                 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-07-13  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: tzz, emacs-devel, monnier, handa

> From: Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org>
> Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 01:05:11 +0300
> Cc: tzz@lifelogs.com, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
> 	emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > What to show in the modeline?
>
> All codes of active input methods separated by some character
> like a comma.

There's no space on the mode line for such long indicators.  I think
we should rather display some special character there, meaning that
several methods are active, and only list all of them in the tooltip
that pops when the mouse is hovering above that indicator.

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-13  5:17                                   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-07-13  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Juri Linkov, tzz, handa, monnier, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>> > What to show in the modeline?
>>
>> All codes of active input methods separated by some character
>> like a comma.
>
> There's no space on the mode line for such long indicators.  I think
> we should rather display some special character there, meaning that
> several methods are active, and only list all of them in the tooltip
> that pops when the mouse is hovering above that indicator.

Since currently it shows a single character for the input method, how
about just appending a "+" in the case where there are others active as
well...

This presumes that one is the "main" input method, and others are
"subsidiary", but that seems likely to be true in many (most?) cases,
and it's certainly more useful than _only_ displaying a "+" or
something...

-Miles

--
Year, n. A period of three hundred and sixty-five disappointments.

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-13 21:27                                     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-13 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, handa, tzz, monnier, emacs-devel

>> There's no space on the mode line for such long indicators.  I think
>> we should rather display some special character there, meaning that
>> several methods are active, and only list all of them in the tooltip
>> that pops when the mouse is hovering above that indicator.
>
> Since currently it shows a single character for the input method, how
> about just appending a "+" in the case where there are others active as
> well...
>
> This presumes that one is the "main" input method, and others are
> "subsidiary", but that seems likely to be true in many (most?) cases,
> and it's certainly more useful than _only_ displaying a "+" or
> something...

As `list-input-methods' shows, there is only one input method with
a "+" in its name: "ucs" ("U+" in the mode line).  But since a "+"
is a good indicator for additional input methods, so perhaps it is
not a big problem when it will be displayed as "U++".

PS: I could submit a patch that provides UI for using multiple input
methods after Handa-san will install multi-input-method-function and
other related code, possibly renaming to better names.  I propose
the following changes in names:

activate-preposition-input-method -> activate-additional-input-method
inactivate-preposition-input-method -> inactivate-additional-input-method
local-input-method-list -> current-additional-input-method-list
global-input-method-list -> remove this variable since there is
no global variant of `current-input-method'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-14  3:18                                       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-07-14  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel, tzz, monnier, handa

Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:
> activate-preposition-input-method -> activate-additional-input-method
> inactivate-preposition-input-method -> inactivate-additional-input-method
> local-input-method-list -> current-additional-input-method-list

Those names seem to have rather different implications though...

`activate-additional-input-method' makes it sound vaguely like the new
input method will somehow be "equal" to the existing input method,
whereas kenichi's name somewhat implies otherwise, that the new input
method being activated is somehow "special" (and I think also suggests
that it will be "subsidiary" to any main input method).

Which of those is true?

-Miles

--
You can hack anything you want, with TECO and DDT.

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-14  4:43                                         ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-07-14  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: juri, eliz, tzz, monnier, emacs-devel

In article <buotzetcfwx.fsf@dhapc248.dev.necel.com>, Miles Bader <miles.bader@necel.com> writes:

> Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:
> > activate-preposition-input-method -> activate-additional-input-method
> > inactivate-preposition-input-method -> inactivate-additional-input-method
> > local-input-method-list -> current-additional-input-method-list

> Those names seem to have rather different implications though...

> `activate-additional-input-method' makes it sound vaguely like the new
> input method will somehow be "equal" to the existing input method,
> whereas kenichi's name somewhat implies otherwise, that the new input
> method being activated is somehow "special" (and I think also suggests
> that it will be "subsidiary" to any main input method).

> Which of those is true?

My original patch intends that "preposition" input methods
are what handled before the normal input method (as
documented).

Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:
> global-input-method-list -> remove this variable since there is
> no global variant of `current-input-method'.

??? A preposition input method can be activated globally
when recorded in global-input-method-list.  In that case, in
any buffer, when you activate a normal input method, that
preposition input method is also activated automatically.
Isn't it useful?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-14 14:01                                     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-07-14 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 01:01:36 +0300 Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> wrote:

JL> Thanks, this is close to perfect now.  However, I noticed yet another
JL> conflicting rule: ("u'" ?ў) ("U'" ?Ў).  Since it is У with breve,
JL> we could use the same key tilde ~ as used by Latin input methods to
JL> input Latin letters with breve: ("u~" ?ў) ("U~" ?Ў).

That's fine.  These are rarely used anyhow.
JL> 2. There are now two conflicting rules: ("E`" ["Ѐ"]) and ("E`" ?Э).
>>
>> Moved Э to @@ (since э was on @ already).

JL> It is too bad to drop ("e'" ?э) since it is a frequently used letter.
JL> I propose to add a rule ("e\\" ?э) because `э' is named REVERSED E,
JL> and REVERSE SOLIDUS `\' has similar mnemonics.

OK.  Thanks for fixing these two issues.  I think this is a very nice
input method for Cyrillic now, after all your help.

@ 2008-07-14 21:47                                       ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-14 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> JL> It is too bad to drop ("e'" ?э) since it is a frequently used letter.
> JL> I propose to add a rule ("e\\" ?э) because `э' is named REVERSED E,
> JL> and REVERSE SOLIDUS `\' has similar mnemonics.
>
> OK.  Thanks for fixing these two issues.  I think this is a very nice
> input method for Cyrillic now, after all your help.

Hmm, the more I think about our latest changes, the more problems I see ;-)

One main problem is that only 5 vowels have the rules with the combining
accent.  But there are more vowels that require it.  And most of them
are multi-key, so e.g. a rule like ("ju" ?ю) will be extended into 3-key
sequence ("ju'" ["ю́"]).  This will over-complicate the current rules.

A better solution is to create a separate rule for the combining
accent.  Since the combining accent is a separate character we can create
a separate rule for it!  So we can leave only two composite rules
("i`" ?ѝ) ("I`" ?Ѝ) because their accent is not a separate character.
And then remove composite rules for the existing 5 vowels, and use
a new rule to input the combining accent character.

But currently I see no good key to input a separate accent because
a natural key sequence /' is already assigned to the single quote
character ’.  Could you propose a good key for the combining acute accent
and for combining grave accent?  Maybe ("\\'" ?́) and ("\\`" ?̀)?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-14 21:51                                           ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-14 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel, tzz, monnier, Miles Bader

>> > activate-preposition-input-method -> activate-additional-input-method
>> > inactivate-preposition-input-method -> inactivate-additional-input-method
>> > local-input-method-list -> current-additional-input-method-list
>
>> Those names seem to have rather different implications though...
>
>> `activate-additional-input-method' makes it sound vaguely like the new
>> input method will somehow be "equal" to the existing input method,
>> whereas kenichi's name somewhat implies otherwise, that the new input
>> method being activated is somehow "special" (and I think also suggests
>> that it will be "subsidiary" to any main input method).
>
>> Which of those is true?
>
> My original patch intends that "preposition" input methods
> are what handled before the normal input method (as
> documented).

I'm not sure if "preposition" is the right English word here.

>> global-input-method-list -> remove this variable since there is
>> no global variant of `current-input-method'.
>
> ??? A preposition input method can be activated globally
> when recorded in global-input-method-list.  In that case, in
> any buffer, when you activate a normal input method, that
> preposition input method is also activated automatically.
> Isn't it useful?

This is useful, but I think it should work exactly like a single input
method works now, i.e. since a global single input method is defined by the
variable `default-input-method', so an additional/preposition/subsidiary
input method should be defined by a similar global variable like e.g.
`default-input-methods' (note the plural `s' at the end of the name) or
`default-input-method-list'.

This also suggests creating a new similar buffer-local variable
`current-input-method-list' (or `current-input-methods').

Why I propose to create these parallel versions is because when I tried
to create UI to define multiple input methods it was obvious that they
are really very similar variables.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods (cyrillic-*, croatian-*, slov*, czech-* etc.) input methods
@ 2008-07-15  1:24                                             ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-07-15  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel, tzz, monnier, miles

In article <87skuckusq.fsf@jurta.org>, Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> writes:

> > My original patch intends that "preposition" input methods
> > are what handled before the normal input method (as
> > documented).

> I'm not sure if "preposition" is the right English word here.

Me neither.  Anyway, it is an input method handled before
the normal input method.

>>> global-input-method-list -> remove this variable since there is
>>> no global variant of `current-input-method'.
> >
> > ??? A preposition input method can be activated globally
> > when recorded in global-input-method-list.  In that case, in
> > any buffer, when you activate a normal input method, that
> > preposition input method is also activated automatically.
> > Isn't it useful?

> This is useful, but I think it should work exactly like a single input
> method works now, i.e. since a global single input method is defined by the
> variable `default-input-method', so an additional/preposition/subsidiary
> input method should be defined by a similar global variable like e.g.
> `default-input-methods' (note the plural `s' at the end of the name) or
> `default-input-method-list'.

Ah, I see your point.  But, I think that the preposition
input methods is a little bit different from the normal
single input method because even if we activate the
different single input method, the same preposition input
methods are activated.  Though, I'm not sure that this
behaviour is the best.  It looks convenient for those people
who switches multiple input methods but wants a consistent
key binding for inputting specific characters.  But, perhaps
most users don't switches multiple input methods.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-07-15 15:06                                         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-07-15 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 00:47:57 +0300 Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org> wrote:

JL> A better solution is to create a separate rule for the combining
JL> accent.  Since the combining accent is a separate character we can create
JL> a separate rule for it!  So we can leave only two composite rules
JL> ("i`" ?ѝ) ("I`" ?Ѝ) because their accent is not a separate character.
JL> And then remove composite rules for the existing 5 vowels, and use
JL> a new rule to input the combining accent character.

JL> But currently I see no good key to input a separate accent because
JL> a natural key sequence /' is already assigned to the single quote
JL> character ’.  Could you propose a good key for the combining acute accent
JL> and for combining grave accent?  Maybe ("\\'" ?́) and ("\\`" ?̀)?

//' and //` would work.  Let's stick with / as the "extended charset"
trigger, so // would be the "character attributes" trigger.  It could
also do //~, //c (cedilla), //^ (superscript), //_ (subscript), etc. in
a more generic multi-use input method.  But for now those two are
sensible.

@ 2008-07-15 20:32                                           ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-15 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

> JL> A better solution is to create a separate rule for the combining
> JL> accent.  Since the combining accent is a separate character we can create
> JL> a separate rule for it!  So we can leave only two composite rules
> JL> ("i`" ?ѝ) ("I`" ?Ѝ) because their accent is not a separate character.
> JL> And then remove composite rules for the existing 5 vowels, and use
> JL> a new rule to input the combining accent character.
>
> JL> But currently I see no good key to input a separate accent because
> JL> a natural key sequence /' is already assigned to the single quote
> JL> character ’.  Could you propose a good key for the combining acute accent
> JL> and for combining grave accent?  Maybe ("\\'" ?́) and ("\\`" ?̀)?
>
> //' and //` would work.  Let's stick with / as the "extended charset"
> trigger, so // would be the "character attributes" trigger.  It could
> also do //~, //c (cedilla), //^ (superscript), //_ (subscript), etc. in
> a more generic multi-use input method.  But for now those two are
> sensible.

I suggested \\' because this rule is already used by latin-ltx
LaTeX-like input method.  But since \ is part of TeX syntax,
it makes sense only for latin-ltx.  So I see no better rule
than your proposed //' and //`.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: multiple input methods (was: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods)
@ 2008-07-28 13:30                                               ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2008-07-28 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel, tzz, monnier, miles

>> > My original patch intends that "preposition" input methods
>> > are what handled before the normal input method (as
>> > documented).
>
>> I'm not sure if "preposition" is the right English word here.
>
> Me neither.  Anyway, it is an input method handled before
> the normal input method.

So it has the same meaning as e.g. the command `pre-command-hook'
that runs a hook before each command?  But I doubt that the word
"pre" in its name stands for "preposition".  Maybe we could do the
same and name new methods using the same short word "pre"? E.g.

    activate-pre-input-method
    inactivate-pre-input-method

>> > ??? A preposition input method can be activated globally
>> > when recorded in global-input-method-list.  In that case, in
>> > any buffer, when you activate a normal input method, that
>> > preposition input method is also activated automatically.
>> > Isn't it useful?
>
>> This is useful, but I think it should work exactly like a single input
>> method works now, i.e. since a global single input method is defined by the
>> variable `default-input-method', so an additional/preposition/subsidiary
>> input method should be defined by a similar global variable like e.g.
>> `default-input-methods' (note the plural `s' at the end of the name) or
>> `default-input-method-list'.
>
> Ah, I see your point.  But, I think that the preposition
> input methods is a little bit different from the normal
> single input method because even if we activate the
> different single input method, the same preposition input
> methods are activated.  Though, I'm not sure that this
> behaviour is the best.  It looks convenient for those people
> who switches multiple input methods but wants a consistent
> key binding for inputting specific characters.  But, perhaps
> most users don't switches multiple input methods.

I think we should provide UI that activates the normal single input
method and all pre input methods at the same time. So a sequence
`C-\ IM1,IM2,IM3 RET' will set the normal single input method
to IM1, and set pre input methods to a list '(IM2 IM3).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: composed characters question and suggestions for quail-cyrillic-*
@ 2008-08-01 21:07                                             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-08-01 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I updated NEWS with a brief summary of the cyrillic-translit method
changes.  Juri, feel free to adjust as needed.

@ 2008-08-05 21:00                                             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-08-05 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

What's the ETA for alternative input methods, after the next release or
before?

It would be nice to provide a list of the new bindings in the Quail
cyrillic-translit method.  Is that already available as a refcard or in
a manual?  I couldn't find it.  It should be generated directly from the
input method description, if possible.

@ 2008-08-05 22:05                                               ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-08-05 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> What's the ETA for alternative input methods, after the next release
> or before?

After.