* Hard-coded paths to crt1.o and the like
@ 2008-02-12 14:10 rdiezmail-emacs
From: rdiezmail-emacs @ 2008-02-12 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all:

I recently noticed that a particular embedded development system comes with a precompiled vim, but without emacs. Such an injustice! 8-)

It turns out there is probably a reason: I've been trying to compile emacs-22.1 with a cross-compiler, and also with different native compiler and library versions, and it's not straightforward.

Apart from the following 'configure' parameter, cross-compiling and the like does not seem to be documented:

  ./configure --help

  [...]

  --host=HOST  cross-compile to build programs to run on HOST [BUILD]

When using a native compiler, but a different libc version to the one that's already installed, the main hurdle seems to be the hard-coded references to the follwoing files. That's also a problem when cross-compiling.

  crt1.o
  crti.o
  crtn.o

Hard-coded paths in build scripts are always a bad idea (in my opinion). Can someone introduce some environment variable that, if defined, would replace the hard-coded /usr/lib/ paths? That variable should be listed in "./configure --help", next to "LDFLAGS" and friends.

I've already posted in this newsgroup about this issue, and e-mailed Eli Zaretskii directly, but I haven't heard since, and I'm not giving up just yet. 8-)

See the following message from Peter Brett for more information, he had already tried cross-compiling long before I did:

  http://www.groupsrv.com/computers/about161848.html

Many thanks in advance,
  Ruben

      Heute schon einen Blick in die Zukunft von E-Mails wagen? Versuchen Sie´s mit dem neuen Yahoo! Mail. www.yahoo.de/mail