* declare-function file names
@ 2007-11-22 16:22 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-11-22 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I just saw this

    +(declare-function dos-8+3-filename "../dos-fns.el" (filename))

and realized that we never discussed precisely what these file name
arguments would mean.  In particular we never discussed how directories
would be handled.

Since Lisp library names must be unique even between directories, I
think that we should not include directory names in this argument.
check-declare should ignore any directory name if specified.

* Re: declare-function file names
@ 2007-11-22 16:26 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-11-22 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Nov 22, 2007 5:22 PM, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> Since Lisp library names must be unique even between directories, I
> think that we should not include directory names in this argument.
> check-declare should ignore any directory name if specified.

`declare-function' could be useful for packages outside Emacs...

             Juanma

* Re: declare-function file names
@ 2007-11-22 19:18 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-11-22 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

>     +(declare-function dos-8+3-filename "../dos-fns.el" (filename))
>
> and realized that we never discussed precisely what these file name
> arguments would mean.  In particular we never discussed how directories
> would be handled.
>
> Since Lisp library names must be unique even between directories, I
> think that we should not include directory names in this argument.

It should probably just be using locate-library/load-path, which was
something Dan had already suggested to me. External packages could set
load-path as needed before using it.

* Re: declare-function file names
@ 2007-11-23  4:35   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-11-23  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

    It should probably just be using locate-library/load-path, which was
    something Dan had already suggested to me. External packages could set
    load-path as needed before using it.

I see you did this already.  That was fast work.

* Re: declare-function file names
@ 2007-11-23  4:36   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-11-23  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: emacs-devel

    `declare-function' could be useful for packages outside Emacs...

Could you be more specific?

* Re: declare-function file names
@ 2007-11-23  9:00     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-11-23  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Nov 23, 2007 5:36 AM, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

>     `declare-function' could be useful for packages outside Emacs...
>
> Could you be more specific?

I was thinking of having, for example, elisp code installed in
~/elisp, which would use `declare-function' to silence warnings about
functions from Emacs packages. To be able to use `check-declare', the
`declare-function's in my private code would have to hardcode the path
to the Emacs lisp/ directory.

All that is moot now that `check-declare-locate' exists.

             Juanma